mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Lefty Speed keeps losing air.

I have an '06 Rush with a Lefty Speed fork and it keeps losing air pressure. After about 3 hours of riding the pressure will drop anywhere from 20 to 30 psi. I tried changing the valve core in the schrader valve but the problem still persists. Any advice?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GREG B.
    I have an '06 Rush with a Lefty Speed fork and it keeps losing air pressure. After about 3 hours of riding the pressure will drop anywhere from 20 to 30 psi. I tried changing the valve core in the schrader valve but the problem still persists. Any advice?
    Ever had it serviced? Chances are your seals are dry. Seems odd to do so, so early on, but anything's possible.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i had a similar problem, i picked-up a valve core tightening tool at walmart and it seems
    to have solved the problem, so far. question is, as i was tightening it would release all
    the pressure and i have to pump air into it again. is that normal? am i doing it right?
    thanking you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by jojodancer
    i had a similar problem, i picked-up a valve core tightening tool at walmart and it seems
    to have solved the problem, so far. question is, as i was tightening it would release all
    the pressure and i have to pump air into it again. is that normal? am i doing it right?
    thanking you in advance.

Sounds like the tool you're using is triggering the valve somehow. It's like turning on a light switch though, there's no real "wrong way" to do it, unless of course, you do it too hard, and strip it Maybe it has something to do with it's being a tool from WalMart?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thanks for your reply mendon, also for your vote of confidence, i did not tighten it all the way for fear of stipping it ( or should i ?). should i tighten it like an inner tube valve core? as for the tool, i guess, you pay for what you get. unfortunately it's only wal-mart that carries it around me. i'll check on pep boys today for availability.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Ever had it serviced? Chances are your seals are dry. Seems odd to do so, so early on, but anything's possible.

Is this something I could do without special tools? Which seals need "moistening"? I'd like to be able to do this myself because sadly I really don't have much faith in our LBS. Thanks........

i did not tighten it all the way for fear of stipping it ( or should i ?). should i tighten it like an inner tube valve core? i'll check on pep boys today for availability.
    Not quite as tight, remember it's aluminum, not steel, like an inner tube valve. Pep Boys may offer a better one, it's odd that it triggers the valve, but that's all I can come up with, beside, I like blaming anything crappy on WalMart

GregB, it's something you need tools for, and a bit of mechanical ability. If you have the interest, you can DIY, but it needs some investment, and some teaching.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thanks for your input mendon, no luck with the valve tool, will check on a couple lbs's in the city during lunch. i won't touch it till i get the proper tool. and again thanks for your advice.

thanks for your input mendon
    No sweat

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com