mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Lefty Speed Carbon SL with DLR Problems

So I did a 24 hour race and all was well. Midway through the race I lost about 20 psi. and had some clunking at compression and rebound. I knew I was about due for a bearing reset so I thought that was the problem. I stopped in the pits aired up and things felt a bit better with less clunking. Then the lock out started to go away. Now it doesn't function at all.

I'm going to do the bearing reset and some cleaning and lubing but would like opinions as to what may be the issue with the lock out and why I began to loose air.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If the lockout doesn't work then you've had fluid loss in the damper and it needs to be serviced. You may also have a leaking seal in the air chamber. All of those seals come in a standard rebuild kit. Call Craig at Mendon Cycle Smith for help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erBob
    If the lockout doesn't work then you've had fluid loss in the damper and it needs to be serviced. You may also have a leaking seal in the air chamber. All of those seals come in a standard rebuild kit. Call Craig at Mendon Cycle Smith for help.
    Thanks for the feedback. Through some research I was beginning to realize that it's a damper issue. I tried calling Craig but the woman I spoke with said he's out of the shop until next Thursday. I've got a race next Saturday so I need to get something done quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks like I found the problem. The threaded cap for the damper cartridge was loose allowing the oil to spill out. The damper cartridge is the only place oil should be present correct? The oil is now in the leg and blowing out the breather holes. How much oil does the damper require? 5wt correct?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I don't know what the oil capacity is. I've been through the rebuild and you go through about 1/2 qt or more to rebuild it and bleed it out. Yes I believe it's 5wt (Maxima 85/150 fork oil).