cem
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Lefty Speed Bonded DLR2 80mm to 110mm

Can you convert a "Lefty Speed Bonded DLR2" from 80mm to 110mm travel?

A friend is selling the DLR2 with 80mm off his caffeine 29er. I'd like to convert it to 110mm for my RUSH.

Thanks,

cm

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    yes...and it is very easy.

the only modification in the fork (to convert from 26" to 29er, vice versa) is that is has spacers that limit travel.

de-pressurized the fork. it will compress alittle on it's own.

you'll need a 1.5mm allen key. remove the rebound knob. you'll see a hex nut on the shaft below, remove that (i think you need a 10mm deep socket). that will let you take off the lock out lever.

take a external bb tool and remove the top cap of the fork. compress the fork and the internals will stick out abit.

you will see 3 delrin c-shaped spacers towards the top on the shaft (10mm each, so a total stack of 30mm). remove the 3 spacers (these are what limit the travel).

put everything back together. pretty easy, this will only take 5 minutes and the only special tool you need is the external bb cup tool.

you can download the manual for the dlr2 forks, it is very helpful. and, there is a exploded diagram of the dlr2 lockout lever.

oh, one last tip. keep the 3 spacers so yo can convert your fork back to 29er...YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!!
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

cem
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks!

Thanks a ton!

I would have been happy with a plain old "yes", but a yes with detailed instructions too. Very cool!

cm

LA CHÈVRE
    I think the 29er has a slightly different damping/valving so the spring rate ramps up nicely for 80mm of travel. The end of the stroke after going to 110mm might be a bit stiffer than with a regular DLR2 110mm...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Dan is again, correct. If it's off of a stock F29, it will have a different air piston spacer, designed to reposition the piston, to give correct feeling progressivity to the fork. It is a pretty straightforward change out, but you'll need the Castle tool, and a 26 style spacer. Rock on.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

cem
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yea it's a off a stock 29er.

If i'm understanding correctly...
    The air piston spacer length is the only difference?

And the actual damper is the same for the 80mm and the 110mm, it's just in a different position based on the the length of the air piston spacer?

Thanks again,

Chris

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cem
    If i'm understanding correctly...
    The air piston spacer length is the only difference?
    Yep, the only difference is the length of the air piston spacer. The cartridges are identical, just remove the spacer clips, change the shaft, and you're in.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

How about an '02 Lefty DLR 100mm to 29er?

Hey, I just picked up my first Cannondale ('02 F800 w/Lefty DLR 100mm). The frame is too small for me but the deal was so sweet I couldn't pass it up! All I know is that I'm hooked on the Lefty- just killer. Now searching for a frame, I'm thinking about converting to a 29er setup- maybe the Caffeine frame, maybe something else with the 321 converter. Am I able to convert this fork to 80mm travel? Seems that it shouldn't be too much different than described above except for needing a specialized spacer of some sort. Any clues what this might be?

Thanks

BTW- looking to trade my '02 CAAD5, size medium, color flat black, frame for similar or newer XL frame...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    you will see 3 delrin c-shaped spacers towards the top on the shaft (10mm each, so a total stack of 30mm).
    So what do these 3 spacer look like? Pictures anyone?

Would it be possible to make them myself for a conversion from 110mm to 80mm, or would I need the cannondale part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you have any sort of shop access, you could order a rod of delrin from mcmaster or grainger and drill it out to fit.