mtbr member

Lefty snot from schrader valve?

I just let the air out of the bottom of my lefty - gently stuck a driver in the valve so all air shot out at once. As the air was released, it snotted a small amount of yellowish fluid onto my hand. When wiped on a towel, it had more of a greenish hue. (kinda like my nose is doing as I have a cold right now.)

Is this normal, or is something leaky? A while back I noticed the boot was oily/greasy and cleaned it - thought it might have been normal crap at the time.

Left was serviced/oil changed beginning of season. Haven't been out much in the last month, so maybe junk has just settled?

Should I air it up and release again to see if it snots again?

Kinda funny I guess- I have a cold, and it seems both me and the lefty have a runny nose.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, lefty is a
    Lefty Max SPV 140mm on my 2005 Prophet 1000
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Normal. Just the fluid to lubricate the air spring. Sudden release of high pressure tends to shoot some out, but there's still plenty left in there.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Not normal, as your SPV chamber is a closed system with no oil in it. Is it losing air, or clunking? Still have rebound control?

I'd agree with Berkley if it were a DLR2, but it's not......

Hmmmm......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I don't think it's been losing air - if so it's very slowly.
    Will keep a closer eye on that.

Rebound control has never been stellar on this fork, as compared to our 110 DLR's. I really need to pay attention to see if any diff from wide open to all the way closed on my Max. On the 110's we have, it's night and day. Not sure if that a different between the two models, or if it means something is not right with the max's rebound adjustment.

I think there has been a little clunking - if memory servers the bearing reset didn't really get rid of it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ride the last month or so, so I'm trying to recall how it was behaving.

This gives me an excuse to go out on a "test ride" tomorrow after work.

Holy crap time is flying -
    Craig, I though you serviced this lefty just a few months ago. Just checked and it was a year ago - almost to the day!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Not normal, as your SPV chamber is a closed system with no oil in it. Is it losing air, or clunking? Still have rebound control?

I'd agree with Berkley if it were a DLR2, but it's not......

Hmmmm......
    send it to mendon. it's better than the cannondale service and faster too. sounds like there's some oil getting past the seals and into the air chamber.

mtbr member
    "send it to mendon. it's better than the cannondale service and faster too."

Hey, that sounds like something I would say!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It's just weird because your air chamber is a thick rubber *condom*, sitting in an oil bath. Nothing sharp to poke it, and due to the way it's put together, hard for it to allow oil in, without letting air out.

If it feels good enough, run it, perhaps it did catch your cold.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've had the same on my Lefty Carbon SL 110 of 2008. I asked a Cannondale mechanic and he told me it can happen. His answer was like Berkleys in post #3. I had an other issue at a later time, posted somewhere on this forum, and had the lefty checked by a mechanic at Cannondale. Nothing was wrong with it.

Before releasing pressure now I'll turn my bike for a while so the stuff stays in the fork.