mtbr member

Lefty Shaft Preload Nut Torque?

Started a needle bearing reset a minute ago....this on a 2009 110 mm alloy Lefty w/Solo Air. After removing the lock-out lever, I noticed the nut below was loose, really loose (could spin it with one finger).

PDF from the Cannondale website warns not to loosen or tighten this nut. It is identified as the "shaft preload nut". Obviously I need to tighten it but I can't find what the torque should be. Your help is appreciated.

Here's an image of the same or similar "shaft preload nut" borrowed from the thread on bearing resets.
    Last edited by pope; 09-18-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    Wisdom is the domain of the Wiz...which is extinct. FZ

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    "Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    According to the manual, Item #10, do not loosen or tighten that nut. The torque spec is for the nut above the lockout lever.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

Ridin' dirty!
    Time for a service! That nut should only be tightened when the cartridge is taken apart. If you mess with it without physically seeing the lockout shims (to align them properly upon tightening that nut) you will destroy them. They might still be properly aligned now but I still wouldn't risk it!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    To everybody who offered help and advice, thank you. To CannondaleManiac, I wish I had read your post sooner. I put her together last night and the action feels great. My solution was to make the nut finger tight plus a little more. After my ride I am reading your response and more than a little concerned that I may have damaged the fork. So, new questions:

1. How much damage/which parts may have been harmed if the lock-out shims weren't where they should be?

2. Would I have noticed the damage on my ride today?

3. Is it common for that particular nut to work loose?

4. Why don't I see any lock-tite on a nut which can work loose and then potentially cause tremendous damage?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by pope View Post
    To everybody who offered help and advice, thank you. To CannondaleManiac, I wish I had read your post sooner. I put her together last night and the action feels great. My solution was to make the nut finger tight plus a little more. After my ride I am reading your response and more than a little concerned that I may have damaged the fork. So, new questions:

1. How much damage/which parts may have been harmed if the lock-out shims weren't where they should be?
    A: Upper and lower lockout shims and the the rebound adjuster rod.
    2. Would I have noticed the damage on my ride today?
    A: More than likely Yes.
    3. Is it common for that particular nut to work loose?
    A: Not really...only if the lockout lever is improperly tightened, then it can wiggle lose over time when riding and flipping the lockout lever on and off.

4. Why don't I see any lock-tite on a nut which can work loose and then potentially cause tremendous damage?
    A: Good point, did you buy it used? Maybe the original owner had it apart at used no loc-tite upon re-assembly, or it was serviced by a poor technician or maybe someone simply forgot to apply it during production. It should be secured with a drop of RED loc-tite.
    See the answers above in bold letters.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

found this diagram

.23 newton meters and loctite 262
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zurC atnaS View Post
    .23 newton meters and loctite 262

Very helpful. Thank you. The Lefty came directly as a warranty upgrade. I'm the only one who has worked on it (very simple maintenance) and that nut has never been touched, so probably the loc-tite was missed in production.