mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Lefty set up, how?

Hi all, I just got my first lefyt and am wondering how much PSI do I us?. Unlike traditional forks it does not have a sag indicator. The guy at the shop said 75% of body weight? Any help would be appreciated.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Well, not having any idea how much you weigh,I'll offer this advice. Set it up to where it feels like it'll be okay, and ride with a shock pump.

I find it best to have the fork bottom out at least once every ride or two. If it doesn't, I'm not using all the travel I purchased.

Keep in mind, it should be one of your more aggressive rides used as a base line. You don't need it to bottom out on your way to the grocery store.

FWIW, I weigh about 180 plus say, 10 to 15 in gear, and run 130 in mine, but I have a few tweaks done that make me run it where it is.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    I always start with the recommanded setup from the manuals... but before I even take a spin outside, I check for proper sag. If with the 75% you don't get 25% of sag, it may be a bit too much. But as Mendon said, bring the pump for the first few rides to fine tune by what you feel out on the trails.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-11-2011 at 08:36 AM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I weigh 200 lbs.

LA CHÈVRE
    Then put around 150psi and check the sag. An easy way to check sag without the sag indicator on stanchions, put a strip of masking tape on a wall and mark the unloaded bike handlebar height. Then get on the bike in a pedaling postition and mark, or have someone mark the bar's height then.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The recommendations are different for each bike and fork. I must say the following recommendations (see attachment) have worked very well for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lefty set up, how?-picture-1.png  

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Cool chart. Thanks kuan!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The chart helps a lot! Thanks!

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've got a 2011 Flash 1 and I weigh 208lbs with my riding gear on. The minimum psi to try according to my owners manual is 65% of my body weight. I started with 140psi which would be 67%. With 140psi I experienced terrible nose dive and the fork bottomed out way too easily. Next I tried the max pressure recommended which is 75% of my body weight or 155psi and that is perfect.
    To get 155 I have to inflate to 160psi since my fork pump bleeds exactly 5 psi when I take it off.