Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lefty schraeder valve funkyness

996 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CactusJackSlade 
#1 ·
On my brand new 2010 140 Lefty PBR I have to slightly unscrew the schraeder valve to pump it up, otherwise when I screw on my air pump it does not depress the valve enough to open it. I then have to re-tighten it... what a pain,:madman: this is not normal is it?

This is not some C'dale proprietary set-up is it? I'm using a standard shock pump.

#2 ·
CactusJackSlade said:
On my brand new 2010 140 Lefty PBR I have to slightly unscrew the schraeder valve to pump it up, otherwise when I screw on my air pump it does not depress the valve enough to open it. I then have to re-tighten it... what a pain,:madman: this is not normal is it?

This is not some C'dale proprietary set-up is it? I'm using a standard shock pump.
Confused. So you tighten fully, then loosen a smidge or it won't pump? Can't you just tighten till pressure registers and pump?

How old is the pump, could be getting deformed and making things stick....

No special anything, just a hole with a valve core in it.

#3 ·
it's is a common problem that i've has with my last two cannondales with a lefty just go to an auto parts store get you a valve stem core remover looks like a little screwdriver.

take the valve core out and then gingerly put it back in your pump should work with no issues someone at the factory really screws those valve cores in deep and the pump cant screw in deep enough to open the valve spring.

#4 ·
HAL 9000 said:
it's is a common problem that i've has with my last two cannondales with a lefty just go to an auto parts store get you a valve stem core remover looks like a little screwdriver.

take the valve core out and then gingerly put it back in your pump should work with no issues someone at the factory really screws those valve cores in deep and the pump cant screw in deep enough to open the valve spring.
What he said.

#6 ·
Well it was too late to get to the parts store so I managed to get a couple wraps of teflon tape on the threads of the valve core so now the core tightens just enough to allow me to use my pump properly.

Yes, before it was too deep into the valve casing... like they threaded it too deep.

Thanks all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.