mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Lefty schrader valve?

Got my bike back from the shop and forgot to have them set the pressure (I usually run about 110 in my DLR2) Stupid I know, but I could never get my shock pump to work and the fork holds pressure pretty well (but leaks a whole hell of a lot). Tried a couple of my friends pumps and couldn't find one that works so my friend loosened the schrader valve with a tool. Vualla, we were able to use his Avenir shock pump and it holds air perfectly. Are there any dangers to this and am I going to have any chance of failure on the trail. I think he backed it out just far enough to get the pump to register air.

Thanks for the replys!

As much as I love the performance of my lefty, I can't really get it to stop leaking all over the place (i've had the seals replaced twice since last year) and the valve thing is getting really annoying.

mtbr member
    If it consistently fails to hold air , it could be that your whole lower
    assembly is ovalized (worn) .
    This happened to my DLR2 and replacing it cured the problem .
    Contact Mendon(Craig) here in this forum and he'll fix it up for you .

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    keep the valve core tight. you could try letting all the air out and lubing the valve core a bit with slick honey or some other shock lube before you reinstall.

Then just crank your pump on tight. you may need to even use a pair of pliers to get the pump head to turn down all the way, before your see the gauge needle jump up.

Sometimes just removing the valve core all the way and reinstalling it all the way helps.

Clyde
    you may be able to replace the value internals with a longer interal. Check with a local tire or auto parts store for your options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry if I wasn't clear - holds air great, just leaks oil all over the place. I've had it rebuilt under warrenty twice under warrenty so i'll see if its alright. Annoying paying $20 for new brake pads though. I have gone on a couple rides now and haven't lost any pressure at all and can now engage my pump since I backed out the valve a half a turn so i'm just going to stick with it. I wish Cannondale had checked into the design before they put it into production...from what I can gather only a couple of pumps actually work with it for some reason. Pretty annoying if you ask me.

My mechanic installed the lockout weird. Not only is it in the wrong place (which I wouldn't mind so much) but it engages the lockout in the opposite direction now. Kind of annoying but not that big of a deal. Is it easy to switch back or should I take it back. I don't want to end up nailing myself in the kneecap.