Sofa King We Todd Did

Lefty sans compression adjuster?

I've asked several shops now and I can't seem to get a straight answer on this. Why doesn't the Lefty Max on my 2004 Jekyll 800 come with a compression adjuster at the bottom of the shock leg like in most Lefty manuals and illustrations I see? I have the red-colored rebound adjuster on top, but not blue-colored compression adjuster. Also, does anyone know if my Lefty Max comes with that TPC+ technology? The Cannondale site doesn't say it, but I've never seen any manual or description of a 2004 Lefty Max without it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you talking to me?

There are different models of the Lefty.

You have the Lefty Max. It has TPC sport damping, not the TPC+ damper. Rebound adjustment, but not the compression adjustment.

The strut that you have may also have a steel spring instead of the Ti version.
    gfy

I ride therefore I am.

Try this....

Hey spinwheelz,
    I had the same fork on my 800. I didn't like not having the compression adjustment so I bought a Jekyll 3000 frame w/ MAX TPC+ and Manitou spv rear shock. I swapped them over to my frame then sold the 3000 frame w/fox propedal and the Lefty MAX seperately and actually made $400. That does'nt happen often. Here's a Compression damper on eBay you could upgrade your fork to a TPC compression adjustable MAX.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
    "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
    Groucho Marx.

Are you talking to me?

That is the way to go.

Follow that auction, as that is a great way to upgrade the damper.

Jekyllman, thanks for the phone call. I will get that spring for you asap.
    gfy

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Nice one! I'll definitely keep my eye on that. If I were to order that part from a dealer what would that typically retail for anyway? I'm asking so that I know what a fair price is for that part, and also if I'm outbid I know what I'm in for if I were to get it from the bike shop.

Is this something that I can install on my own or is this something that I need the shop to install for me?

Are you talking to me?

I am not sure about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Nice one! I'll definitely keep my eye on that. If I were to order that part from a dealer what would that typically retail for anyway? I'm asking so that I know what a fair price is for that part, and also if I'm outbid I know what I'm in for if I were to get it from the bike shop.

Is this something that I can install on my own or is this something that I need the shop to install for me?
    It is not a part I know the pricing on.

It is something that you could do yourself, but it can get messy. You have a full service manual available for the Max's.
    gfy

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Hmmm... from the sounds of that, I may be better off letting my shop work on it. Last thing I need is a screwed up fork while out riding. And I have a knack for screwing things up. This compression adjuster will fit onto any new Lefty Max front shock? I'd hate to cough up the dough for something that can't be installed onto my Lefty...

I ride therefore I am.

Worth It!

I've bought from this seller before and emailed him before I posted the previous post about the damper. I asked him specifically if this damper would make a MAX fork w/o compression adjust a MAX TPC w/compression adjustment? He said "Ya". I'm going to my LBS today I'll ask them how much this part costs. If nothing else you could buy a TPC+ then sell your MAX. The compression adjustment is worth $100 IMO. I've sold two MAX's on eBay for $475.00+.

This Lefty MAX TPC+ sold for $385.00 yesterday on eBay. They usually go for about $600.00? If I hadn't been riding at the time I would have bought it!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEDW:IT

Here's another w/a reserve.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEBI:IT
    Groucho Marx.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    You're really going over and above the call of duty here, Jekyllman! Thank you so much for being so helpful in sharing all your insights and going out of your way to get answers! Would love to know what your bike shop says!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    OK, I got that compression damper kit off ebay! Didn't come with an adjuster knob, though. I'm afraid that that's going to be another part I need to order from Cannondale.

I hope this thing works...

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Well, I got it, have it installed, and here's how it looks.

I've not had a chance to mess around with it, but I wanted to thank you guys nonetheless for helping me upgrade my Lefty to a TPC with the compression adjuster. Couldn't have done it without your help and your leads.

Thank you very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I ride therefore I am.

Great Fork!!!

Cool glad to help.
    I think you'll like the adjustability of the TPC.
    Groucho Marx.