mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Lefty with RLC problems

2008 carbon lefty with RLC and the Fox parts are shot on top (Levers and knob). What are my options?
    2011 Specialized Allez
    2011 LTKO23 w/ carbon lefty and Stans Race Golds

mtbr member
    if the internals are broken or damaged your F$cked!
    i had a 2008 lefty speed carbon RLC 110 w damaged/broken rebound stift inside and no spare parts so if you find a donor lefty you can use the internals and replace them or upgrade your lefty
    good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What can you upgrade to? Im new to these forks.
    2011 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Mine is exactly like your model and I upgraded mine to PBR air sprung. Been riding it a lot with no issues. Well worth it. Cannondale can do it and I think Mendo can as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Oh yea and the PBR upgrade dropped a half pound. 3.5 lbs to 3.0 lbs by my scale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    $$$$???
    2011 Specialized Allez

Mr. Knowitall
    The lever and knob on top are standard Fox parts - for the external parts only!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Around $200 I think. Cannondale or Mendon can confirm. I have a 2006 Lefty max spv I will upgrade later this year. I look forward to that upgrade. My Prophet with a locked out Lefty that you can easily adjust spring rate? Oh yea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread... but I figured the title was still appropriate as I've got an RLC with some problems.

Oh, FYI, for those that wonder... My Speed Carbon 110SL was 1250g and this Fox RLC OPI version weighs 1430g (3.14 lbs), so a 180g penalty.

I've emailed Craig @ Mendon but hate to bother the guy as I didn't buy this fork from him. I'd understand if he didn't respond, but it's been less than 24h since emailing him. Regardless, I'm copying the email below and hope that he or somebody here can help me out. I'm going to go outside and change it's oil after posting this:

I just bought a second-hand Lefty fork... it's a FOX RLC version that is equipped with an OPI lower leg. Unsure if that can help you date this fork or not... I am guessing it's an '09 or '10. Externally, it is near perfect....

...but I am a bit concerned with how the fork is working. Low speed compression doesn't seem to do anything, the lockout lever requires about a 360 degree turn to have any effect, and more concerning is that the rebound adjuster knob will spin as many times as I want (I was up to 40 turns before giving up) and yet has no discernible influence on the rebound characteristics of the fork. Interestingly, the lockout threshold knob on the lower leg causes the fork to get stiffer or plusher, depending on how I turn it (it's behaving almost like a compression adjustment). The fork makes kind of a suction noise on rebound.

I've never used one of these forks before so wasn't really sure of what to expect. I ride some pretty rough and rocky terrain which is why I wanted to try this coil sprung unit vs my Speed SL (though the Speed SL was functioning perfectly, I just worried about the beating it was taking). It's a 180g penalty that I reasoned was worth it... I'll be eating those words if this thing needs a serious overhaul.

I do have all of the tools to work on my speed sl, unsure how it translates to this unit. I'm just frustrated and hoping you might have some insight as to what's up with this thing.

EDIT:

I am into the oil change and noted that when I inverted the fork to drain the oil the whole rebound rod (or whatever the long, thin aluminum rod is) simply fell out of the fork and into the bucket I was draining oil into). Luckily it didn't fall all the way out, it was long enough that it hit the bottom of the bucket and didn't get bent or damaged in any way. Curiously, though, the end of it is "forked" and was clearly bent apart. I think I've discovered the problem as the tiny 'pin' that goes through the bottom of the red pin (lowest part of the upper valve assembly) was likely not grabbing that forked area properly--thus unable to turn the knob.
    I bent it back, but jesus, this is aluminum which can only bend so many times before breaking.

Oil is clean and clear... but damn. I'm annoyed to have been sold this fork in this condition as it was advertised as "as new" and the seller did not budge on asking price because of this.
    Last edited by headshok2002; 09-18-2012 at 04:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't know anything about rebuilding it, can't help you there.

I can say that Mendon is a reliable and usually very friendly source of information. I would never consider sending a fork back to Cannondale vs. to his shop when he's around. He may have some info for you shortly.

As for tip of the iceberg stuff, I know that cannondale no longer makes or supports Fox internal'ed leftys, so there are no backup parts remaining (I've asked him previously). He may have one or two specific parts as he services so many, but who knows. I believe that, with the OPI lower, you can drop in a PBR damper for about $260. That's probably not what you want to hear, but I'm not sure you'll be able to service the FOX lefty unless it's a simple issue.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Check your email now.

Vegas wifi sucks. Get a hotel? $20 a day just to get on? Rather spend that on beer, gotta rehydrate somehow out here...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com