mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Lefty rebound issue

My Lefty DLR2 was services some weeks ago by Cannondale Europe due to oil leakage.
    Now that the Lefty is back, the leakage has stopped, but the fork does not function as did before:

1) whenever the Lefty extends after compression, it hits the end of the stroke really hard, making a noticable ticking sound which can be felt in the handlebars. This is not just the case after a big hit, but also when climbing when you have just a slight compression of the fork. This is very annoying to ride with cause I feel a constant tick of the Lefty at each pedal stroke. The only way to deal with this issue for now has been to fully engage the rebound on the Lefty, however, this should not be the solution.

2) I encounter a little play between the upper and lower leg of the Lefty. I tried another wheelset, same issue. So we can rule out hub play.

Is this normal or should I take it back to Cannondale to get if fixed?

Jowan

mtbr member
    I would hope Dan, Craig, or other veterans would chime in, but to me it sounds like a bearing migration thing. I have heard that when the needle bearings get out of position, top-out noises are common.

LA CHÈVRE
    Yep, I would start by resetting the bearings, your issue 1) is probably due to that. It is one hint I use to tell myself I'm due for a bearing reset. Issue 2) could have something to do with the bearings too but it usually doesn't have any play when bearings have migrated, unless they have moved a whole lot. So reset the bearings first and see if it disappears. Maybe the play is not really there but it sounds and gives you the impression there is some play because of excessive migration...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks ...

Bubba and Dan for your quick input.

Odd thing is that the Lefty had these problems the moment I received the fork back from service by C'dale. The repair note mentions that the cartridge and innersteerer (lower leg) were replaced. I also found some paper tape wound under the rubber shield, (see pic)is that normal?

So, how can I fix the bearing migration, is this something I can do myself or should I leave it to Cannondale service. If bearing migration is not normal, Cannondale might want to fix it under the warranty on their repair.

My thanks for any info
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jowan,

The tape looks like it was added to provide some grip to keep the boot from rising up. I wouldn't worry about that.

Bearing migration is a normal thing, and you should be able to do the procedure yourself. I'm not sure how to do it on the DLR's, check your lefty manual.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Just performed the reset...

but unfortunately the issue of topping out still remains.

I followed the Cannondale owner manual supplement instructions and the guidelines from the 'migration reset post' on this great forum, but not to any better result.

The posts on the migration issue state that you have to apply some force to get the bearing reset. I deflated the fork, followed instructions as to remove the top cap and split rings, pulled the axle down hard several times untill I was convinced there was no difference in sound or feel noticable and the put all thing back together again.

Is it possible I dit nog apply enough or applied to much force, or aplied it the wrong way?

Or has this something to do with the fact that this Lefty DLR2 is specially tuned for a Prophet SL and has 120mm of travel instead of 110mm.

The issue of the play also has nog been solved, but from what I've read this could be due to the old racec being reused on a new lower leg. I don't know if this is harmful to my Lefty and should be fixed right away, or that it can wait untill the next service job?

J
    Attached Images Attached Images

LA CHÈVRE
    It would be weird that you'd have to reset the bearings right after a service... but crazier things have happened I guess. Bearing migration is normal, it happens over time, faster when bottom outs are more frequent. It's easy to do, just follow the instruction in the manual like Bubba suggested.

If the problem is not solved after a reset, I can think of another thing. Since they changed the lower part of the Lefty, manufacturing tolerance being what they are, it's possible that the bearings don't have the same amount of preload and are now too loose. Normally, they should have checked that though but if it is the problem, you'll probably need to take it back to a Cannondale dealer who knows how to work on Lefties, they can add more preload to the bearings until it's in the required range...

Just another obvious/stupid suggestion: make sure all the bolts are tight enough: the wheel's axle, on the Lefty's clamps, stem and bars....

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    you know the same thing happen on my sl after I got it back from my bike shop I'm trying to figured it out what could be wrong but all I can say its not normal because my other sl does not make that noise.