mtbr member

New question here. Lefty rebound cartridge shot?

my base lefty on my Prophet 600 is leaking what appears to be grease through a tiny tear in my shock boot. I noticed the boot also looks darker in a spot where oil has leaked through.

I think it is the rebound cartridge because the adjustment basically does not change the feel of the fork. It does'nt slow down the rebound down any more.

On the trail, the front end is real "squirrely" when riding over rocks and roots.

This is the basic Lefty (no TPC or SPV).

Is this something that C-dale will warranty? I already told my LBS and they said I need to send it in to them to investigate.

I don't want to pay for a rebuild...I want it fixed for free since I have only been riding it on and off for ~ 6 months.

Thanks in advance for comments....

Are you talking to me?

How far from the shop are you?

Do they do their own service on HS and Lefty's? If not, send it to Cannondale. They will be fair. How big is the tear in the boot, and how long has it been there?

If it goes to Cannondale or the dealer, have the TPC upgrade done while it is there.
    gfy

mtbr member

LBS will have to send out...+ TPC upgrade

the LBS does not rebuild forks.
    The tear is very small (more like a puncture). I noticed it 3 days ago.

Here is my thought...
    If C-dale warranties it (which they should), I will continue to ride the Lefty. If they charge me $100+ for parts and a rebuild, I may just invest the cash into a new fork (such as a PIKE, or Marz AM).

I can take or leave the TPC. It came in my Breakout Plus on my Gemini, and I eventually switched to a Super T.

Depending on what C-dale says, if I have to pay, I will probably sell the fork + front wheel to offset my cost on a new fork and hub.

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    Do they do their own service on HS and Lefty's? If not, send it to Cannondale. They will be fair. How big is the tear in the boot, and how long has it been there?

If it goes to Cannondale or the dealer, have the TPC upgrade done while it is there.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    the LBS does not rebuild forks.
    The tear is very small (more like a puncture). I noticed it 3 days ago.

Here is my thought...
    If C-dale warranties it (which they should), I will continue to ride the Lefty. If they charge me $100+ for parts and a rebuild, I may just invest the cash into a new fork (such as a PIKE, or Marz AM).

I can take or leave the TPC. It came in my Breakout Plus on my Gemini, and I eventually switched to a Super T.

Depending on what C-dale says, if I have to pay, I will probably sell the fork + front wheel to offset my cost on a new fork and hub.
    Couple of thoughts. Too bad your dealer doesn't do them, they should, this is a quick fix, shame on them. Second, I would not expect it to cost you $100 to fix it, that would be if the races and bearings all needed replacement due to contamination. If you have not ridden in the crud with a hole in your boot, you should be fine. Third, it's most likely not leaking, there is grease inside the boot, and the boot creates a tight seal, air is rushing in and out as you cycle it, and is taking some grease with it. Did the fork rebound ever work, has it's effectiveness decreased over time? Lastly, It's always a bummer when folks want stuff for free,(was the bike free?) and threaten to go elsewhere if they don't get what they want. After riding on it for 6 months, it's due for service. Have you ridden it 40 hours yet? That's the recommended service interval, so you should expect to pay. If your shop did it, you might have leverage, but don't expect it from the manufacturer. Nothing in life is free, except when folks screw up. At this point I don't see how Cannondale has screwed up. They will admit when they have, and most of the time, bend over backwards to make sure their customers are happy. My recommendation, is find a shop that does their own work (they should), so you can get service done routinely, without having to wait while it goes to them, is there, and comes back. Call Cannondale, and tell them your shop is lame about this, and explain that you don't want to be without your bike for that long. They need to know that having serviceless shop does them, and their brand a grave disservice. My 2 cents.

Are you talking to me?

Well said, Mendon....

That is basically what I was thinking, as I read the post prior to yours.
    gfy

mtbr member

reply to $.02

yes, rebound worked fine up until 2 rides ago.
    While I like my LBS, I feel better anyway if C-dale performs the work. Not all employees have the necessary knowledge.

I'm not looking for "freebies." However, if the bike is under warranty, I expect it fixed for free. Service at 6 months is understandable, but it does not mean the rebound should FAIL at 6 months. That's whats known as a Defect.

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    That is basically what I was thinking, as I read the post prior to yours.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

not necessarily...

While I like my LBS, I feel better anyway if C-dale performs the work. Not all employees have the necessary knowledge.

I'm not looking for "freebies." However, if the bike is under warranty, I expect it fixed for free. Service at 6 months is understandable, but it does not mean the rebound should FAIL at 6 months. That's whats known as a Defect.
    Not necessarily a defect - probably just a shot o-ring, and as Mendon said, a simple fix. Before you start freakin out and putting the fork on e-bay, perhaps just have a chat with your dealer, or have them call c-dale's tech services. My guess is that you're going to be pleasantly suprised. It is however pretty lame that your dealer doesn't service this fork - this fix is just slightly more complicated than changing a light bulb.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member

freak out?

dude....I'm not freakin' out.
    If I need service, it's the perfect time to try a different fork on the Prophet as the Lefty is just "OK."

If I try a PIKE or an All Mt...I would probably sell the Lefty to offset the cost of the new fork and wheel.

I'm not saying I would sell the fork JUST because it needs service. I always send my shocks and forks in for service.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw
    Not necessarily a defect - probably just a shot o-ring, and as Mendon said, a simple fix. Before you start freakin out and putting the fork on e-bay, perhaps just have a chat with your dealer, or have them call c-dale's tech services. My guess is that you're going to be pleasantly suprised. It is however pretty lame that your dealer doesn't service this fork - this fix is just slightly more complicated than changing a light bulb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    dude....I'm not freakin' out.
    If I need service, it's the perfect time to try a different fork on the Prophet as the Lefty is just "OK."

If I try a PIKE or an All Mt...I would probably sell the Lefty to offset the cost of the new fork and wheel.

I'm not saying I would sell the fork JUST because it needs service. I always send my shocks and forks in for service.
    I just sent my lefty back to Cannondale and got it back in 7 days. There was no charges, not even for shipping. I bought the prophet back in May and it was still covered under warranty. That's great if your local shop can rebuild/repair on site but heck if they can't 7 day turnaround time is awesome.

True, a failure at 6 months is warranty-able, but to go in with a full head of steam, demanding warrantys, is just not good practice, with any customer service. Imagine berating a waiter cause the food was not right, you'd certainly get new food, but don't be surprised if they add an "extra" ingredient= We are not speaking face to face, so I cannot honestly say you are "feaking out" but the tone of your question, along with the statement that your gonna try a new fork at 6 months in, if it's not fixed for free, indicate a certain level of agitation.But hey, this is a great place to air it, as you can get some good info, and go into your dealer with a cool head= Most likely the part would be replaced for free, any way, because we, in the bike industry, give away a ton of stuff like that all in the name of good will, even if it was 2 years old. Point is, be nice, polite, and say, what's up with it, it just isn't working right anymore, can you please take a look? As my Mom always said, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Hope the fix is a cheapy. Now, why is the lefty just OK? There may be a problem you are not even aware of, it should be stiffer and smoother than any of the forks you are looking to "upgrade" to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    True, a failure at 6 months is warranty-able, but to go in with a full head of steam, demanding warrantys, is just not good practice, with any customer service. Imagine berating a waiter cause the food was not right, you'd certainly get new food, but don't be surprised if they add an "extra" ingredient= We are not speaking face to face, so I cannot honestly say you are "feaking out" but the tone of your question, along with the statement that your gonna try a new fork at 6 months in, if it's not fixed for free, indicate a certain level of agitation.But hey, this is a great place to air it, as you can get some good info, and go into your dealer with a cool head= Most likely the part would be replaced for free, any way, because we, in the bike industry, give away a ton of stuff like that all in the name of good will, even if it was 2 years old. Point is, be nice, polite, and say, what's up with it, it just isn't working right anymore, can you please take a look? As my Mom always said, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Hope the fix is a cheapy. Now, why is the lefty just OK? There may be a problem you are not even aware of, it should be stiffer and smoother than any of the forks you are looking to "upgrade" to.
    Mendoncyclesmith - regarding your post a few up. You said that after 40 hours of riding time it needs service. Are you saying that the shock should be returned to your bike shop and things like seals and fresh oil and grease should be preformed? At that rate(40hrs) I'd be or should be taking it back once a month. 40 hrs seems a little excessive. The only thing I do to the shock is reset it every week.
    Last edited by mnbv1; 12-27-2005 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbv1
    Mendoncyclesmith - regard your post a few up. You said that after 40 hours of riding time it needs service. Are you saying that the shock should be returned to your bike shop and things like seals and fresh oil and grease should be preformed? At that rate(40hrs) I'd be or should be taking it back once a month. 40 hrs seems a little excessive. The only thing I do to the shock is reset it every week.
    Hey there, 40 hours has been Cannondale recommendation for many years. I have always held that it is a bit excessive, and recommend every 6 months for heavy usage in nasty environments, or annually for a lighter usage pattern. As it turns out, Cannondale has recently adopted that standard as well. That said, I always mention that so that people understand, it's not a fork that you never have to do anything to. I find that people and their bikes, fall into two groups, those that get service done routinely, needed or not, and those that get stuff done, only when it stops working completely. So knowing that your fork NEEDS service to keep warranty and such, may help budge some folks to get what needs to be done, done. Hope that helps clarify things! Happy trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Hey there, 40 hours has been Cannondale recommendation for many years. I have always held that it is a bit excessive, and recommend every 6 months for heavy usage in nasty environments, or annually for a lighter usage pattern. As it turns out, Cannondale has recently adopted that standard as well. That said, I always mention that so that people understand, it's not a fork that you never have to do anything to. I find that people and their bikes, fall into two groups, those that get service done routinely, needed or not, and those that get stuff done, only when it stops working completely. So knowing that your fork NEEDS service to keep warranty and such, may help budge some folks to get what needs to be done, done. Hope that helps clarify things! Happy trails
    I don't mean to beat this with a stick, but what wears out in 6months? Do the bearing races go bad? Do the bearing themself wear out? I ran mine for 8 months and the only reason I returned it was because of a leaking oil seal. Do you think they comepletely rebuilt it when it was return to Cannondale? Or did they just fix what was wrong. Sorry to keep hounding you on this, but you seem to really know whats going on with these lefty things.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbv1
    I don't mean to beat this with a stick, but what wears out in 6months? Do the bearing races go bad? Do the bearing themself wear out? I ran mine for 8 months and the only reason I returned it was because of a leaking oil seal. Do you think they comepletely rebuilt it when it was return to Cannondale? Or did they just fix what was wrong. Sorry to keep hounding you on this, but you seem to really know whats going on with these lefty things.
    No sweat, there is a lot of mis-information out there, I try to correct it as often as I can. Stuff by no means wears out in 6 months, or even 5 years. What is done during the course of a conventional service, is this. Outer leg is removed , exposing races and bearings, these are cleaned, and re greased. Cartridge is pulled apart, seals are checked, and any with flattening, or wear and tear are replaced. Oil is changed too. The only time races or bearings are replaced is when they are rusted or pitted, which happens when water/grit gets in through a hole in the boot. Moral of the story? Keep your boot in good shape, inspect it regularly, and replace when it has any holes. A quick $15 boot change is far cheaper than a full rework! When Cannondale gets one back, they clean and relube, and replace what needs replacing, same as I do here. Does that clarify it, or do you need more info? Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0