Thread: Lefty rebound

mtbr member

Lefty rebound

It's been a while since I've had the top cap off of my lefty max140 tpc. I only have like 7 or 8 clicks on my rebound adjuster, but I'm supposed to have 13 or so? Also, the lowest setting still seems to rebound slower than I'd like (not springy enough).

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

B3 MTB
    hmmm well is there actual noticeable change in the rebound? if no, take your fork in to a shop. an issue with lefties recently (last 3-4 years) is the damper cartridge threads loosening from the inner tube. when it gets loose, the rebound goes to hell and the rod wont adjust anything. happened to mine. they clean the threads and put new loctite on them. actually, its really easy to do by yourself, juts need a crown tool to remove the dampening cartridge.

and as for the slower than usual rebound, maybe because the threads are only half engaged the spring is not as "pressurized," enabling a slower rebound.

you're right, though. there are either 13 or 14 clicks, not 7. only thing i can think of is the above. (the cartridge is too loose in the tube and the rod is not deep enough into it, thus only permitting half the normal number of clicks)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply.

There is definitely a noticable change in rebound when I turn the rebound knob. In fact, at the highest setting, it takes almost a full second for the shock to return it's resting position.

I've done simple maintenance like cleaning and re-oiling the air filter, changing the red spring to black, and re-greasing the bearing races. Is removing the dampening cartridge along the same lines as far as difficulty? Do I need to change out the shock oil?

Thanks for any ideas. I definitely want to fix it, but I don't want to wait two weeks at the LBS. I'd like to do it myself on some downtime. It's very ridable right now...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Hollerbach's mixing issues here. The thread loosening is part of a DLR2 recall, for insufficient loctite on the threads. The Max, has no cartridge, to speak of. Most likely, if you had them (clicks) and the are now gone, your aluminum push rod is getting stuck. Since you still have change in rebound, catch it NOW! If you've changed the spring, you can do this. Take the top end off, remove the spring, and there is your push rod, sticking up, out of the lower end of the rebound shaft. Clean it, lube it well with grease. Carefully, so as not to lose any balls, check the rebound knob make sure it's not gummed up with grit. Reassemble, and check function. Should be improved. If not, change the oil too, it may be getting time for that.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, Craig. I was waiting for your reply

Sounds good, I'll definitely take a look. I have night class during the week, and when I get a free moment, I ride

I'll try what you said. I also might change the oil in the next week or so (we're supposed to be heading up to Plattekill second or third week in June )

darekf
    Jun 2007
    Hi! I have similar problem with my Lefty. My Rush is brand new and after couple of rides I noticed missing clicks. Lefty works good but I am not sure about if I can ride like this.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by darekf
    Hi! I have similar problem with my Lefty. My Rush is brand new and after couple of rides I noticed missing clicks. Lefty works good but I am not sure about if I can ride like this.

As long as you have proper rebound control, I would not worry too much about the number of clicks. It may be any number of "non issues" that can be resolved when it's brought in for service the next time around.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

darekf
    Jun 2007

lefty rebound

Thanks for the responce. I've red manual again and it looks that I am missing one turn on the adjuster knob. I have 1.75 turn not 2.75 acording to manual. I send a e-mail to Cannondale and I took my bike to the shop. It had to be serviced anyway. Thanks again. I will post if I know anyting more.