Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lefty question

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

lefty question

do lefty forks only fit cannondale bikes
    or could i retrofit one to my current ride

LA CHÈVRE
    They are designed to only fit Cannondale frames but you can get adaptors to convert a Lefty to a 1.125" headtube. Your headtube length must not be too tall though. Project 321 makes such adaptors and can probably help you figure out if it can work with your specific frame.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

I just wanna go fast...
    ?? isn't the cannondale headtube just a 1.5 headtube?

Lefty Heaven
    Mar 2007
    I cant remember the difference, but I know that the Cannondale headtube isn't like other headtubes. The size is slightly different. I read about it on a Cannondale Q & A site.

I have seen a Scott Ransom running a Lefty on the Weight Weenies site. It has carbon 4 spoke wheels and looks either hot or odd, I cant decide!!

LA CHÈVRE
    The frames are both compatible with OnePointFive but the Headsets and steerers are not OnePointFive, it's something like 1.57"... You could put a Lefty in a OnePointFive frame with the Cannondale SI headset...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

banned
    Nov 2005

Good job! Lefty's for all

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesign
    do lefty forks only fit cannondale bikes
    or could i retrofit one to my current ride
    Dan is right. Project 321 does make an adaptor for 1 1/8" headtubes.
    I've been using one for a couple of months and am EXTREMELY happy with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Project 321 steerer here as well. Made for the Carbon Leftys. Its cheaper than the other steerer because it doesn't come with the clamps, just the steerer tube. On the carbon Leftys you're restricted to a maximum total stack height (headtube, headset, headset cups, spacers, etc...) of 5.417", because the clamps are bonded/rivited to the Lefty fork, unlike the other Leftys where the clamps are bolted on.

Last edited by BlownCivic; 05-08-2007 at 04:23 PM.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The frames are both compatible with OnePointFive but the Headsets and steerers are not OnePointFive, it's something like 1.57"... You could put a Lefty in a OnePointFive frame with the Cannondale SI headset...
    1.562"

thats 1 9/16".....

I just wanna go fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    1.562"

thats 1 9/16".....
    I think you may have just won the Biggest Cannondale Geek award with that one.

mtbr member

Another shameless P-321 plug

I have used both Vince's steerer tube (based on Terminauts design) and the P-321 Lefty Adaptor with clamps. The Project 321 adaptor is simple, works and I am pleased with it. Not affiliated with P-321, just a happy customer.
    Cheers,
    Marty

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hello! im interested on putting a lefty in a 1 1/8" frame, i want to buy the project321 steer tube. I have a 100mm lefty and i want to put this in a L size frame, the steer tube is enough? it fits in all kind of leftys?

thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Lefty on Scott Ransom

can some body post the photo of it?? coz i went to the website i cudnt find them... thanx!!
    SCALPEL 900 ( Sobe Rep)

mtbr member

pics for you

Jinxkal,
    Marty_hd has posted a picture of the "clamp on" adaptor (above) and here is a pic
    of the "bonded" adaptor. Just let me know if you have any questions.
    sales@project321.com

Thanks!
    Jake
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    kunzho,
    The answer to your question depends on how the crowns attach to the lefty
    leg. If they clamp on you will need the replacement clamps and steerer. If they
    are bonded you will only need the steerer. However, if they are bonded you may
    have a problem using that lefty on a large frame because the top and bottom crowns
    are a fixed distance apart. So wich style do you have? We can go from there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for the input guys a great help

pace forks can now be gone

mtbr member
    May 2007
    hello! im planning to fit this lefty:

do you like my bed dress?

mtbr member
    Kunzho,
    You need the replacement clamps set and steerer tube. That adaptor is a little
    more expensive 199.99. but it allows you to go up to 6.125" on the stack height.
    It also allows some room to slide the lefty leg up and down to adjust axle to crown
    distance. So there are a couple advantages. Plus the look way cooler than the stock
    crowns. So you shouldn't have any trouble using your lefty. Feel free to give us a call
    if you have anymore questions. Good luck with your conversion!
    Jake - PROJECT321 - 559-906-5253

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    doesnt matter now

just stumped up the readies for a carbon rush frame and lefty carbon

happy guy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    opss!! why i cant use the same clamps? its to expensive... the fork is going to cost me about 250$ + 199$ plus for the adaptor..., i there's no way to intall these using my clamps? sorry for my english... im spanish!!!

Another pic of the lefty clamps:

thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Your existing clamps won't work because they are designed to clamp around the 1.5" steerer, and you need a 1.125" steerer to fit your headset.

Hey Jake, why wouldn't the Carbon lefty P321 steerer fit into the clamps on his existing lefty?

mtbr member
    Well, it actually will fit. It involves drilling, pressing, riveting, etc.
    I have seen it done but we do not recomend it. I'm really not sure that is even works
    right becuse the stock steerer is pressed into the lower crown and then riveted. I don't know that
    the press dimension is the same as the dimension we hold on our carbon adaptor that gets clamped
    in the bottom crown. Plus (from what I hear) it's just a pain in the a$$. Ask Marty_hd about it!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok! pumpkinbiter! I think i have understood the lesson!

But i have decide:

I will buy the p321 steer to tube and i go to my local bike shop to take out the old steer tube and fit the new one with the press. I think if i drill the ribet with the same diameter wont brake nothing.. i think the only problem is to press in and out the steer tube but with a bit of time all fit...

im not goint to buy the clamps because its to expensive for me, im from spain, and pay 200 + 45(for shipping) its too much, and 90 + 15 for the steer tube is a right price...

anyone have done it?

thanks!!!

mtbr member

O.k.

Kunzho,
    I understand your situation. I can not support your decision to use our adaptors in a way they are not intended. Now that I have said that I will say that I know it has been done successfully so I wish you good luck with the project. Ride Safe! Jake - Project321

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks!!! Be sure i will buy your steer tube! the cnc is beauty!!! And better than other on ebay...

See you!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks!!! Be sure i will buy your steer tube! the cnc is beauty!!! And better than other on ebay...

See you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast