Ride on ... eh!

Lefty question....

Had the bike out for a few rides this year (weathers been crappy up until now and lots of mud) and I notice something that might be a concern or not..... hadn't noticed it last year.
    When I lock out the Lefty, there is still a small amount of movement in the shock.... say about 5 or 6mm. The lock-out knob has a bit of a grating feel to it, and once the lock is engaged, if you press down on the front of the bike, there is a small amount of movement down on the fork....as I said about 5 or 6mm until it stops.
    Is this normal?
    If not, is there a quick fix, or is this a problem.
    I guess if it is a problem, I will just ride without the lock-out on and get it fixed at the end of the year..... don't want to be without my ride for a long while.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

mtbr member

Well, I guess you have given up on this thread but...

Ya, I dont think that much movement is normal... the Lefty I sometimes ride doesnt move in the slightest when locked out; you couldnt tell the difference from it and a rigid. Lockouts on Rock shox, in my experiance always have a bit of travel. As for the grating sound... The lockout knob sometimes works it way off on the fork, usually you can just push it down, but there may be a diff problem. Thats about all I know... I hope I helped somewhat...

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Sounds like you've gotten a bit of air in your damper cartridge. It's a pretty simple matter to pull the damper and top off the oil to remove the air, any decent C-dale shop should be able to service it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnbkrdude
    Had the bike out for a few rides this year (weathers been crappy up until now and lots of mud) and I notice something that might be a concern or not..... hadn't noticed it last year.
    When I lock out the Lefty, there is still a small amount of movement in the shock.... say about 5 or 6mm. The lock-out knob has a bit of a grating feel to it, and once the lock is engaged, if you press down on the front of the bike, there is a small amount of movement down on the fork....as I said about 5 or 6mm until it stops.
    Is this normal?
    If not, is there a quick fix, or is this a problem.
    I guess if it is a problem, I will just ride without the lock-out on and get it fixed at the end of the year..... don't want to be without my ride for a long while.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jcw
    Sounds like you've gotten a bit of air in your damper cartridge. It's a pretty simple matter to pull the damper and top off the oil to remove the air, any decent C-dale shop should be able to service it for you.
    Agree totally with jcw here - air in the damper, and maybe some new seals.