USED2COULD

Lefty & Project 321 Question

Perhaps Mendon (Craig) or Dan can help me here.
    I've raked the internet, well looked around a bit at least, and I can't find an answer, or precedent.

I'm looking at replacing my 29'er hardtail frame with a full suspension 29'er frame, and maintaining my Lefty.

The issue I am having is Axle to Crown height.

The Tallboy is the front runner for me at the moment, with the only other real considerations being "wait and see what the Intense Spider 229 is like, and the Jet 9". The Epic Carbon would be nice, but the pricing is ridiculous.

So I think I could live with the 100mm rear - 80mm front travel imbalance, but I'm worried about the geometry with the 470mm axle to crown of my lefty vs. the ~505mm a-c the Tallboy is designed around.

I was wondering if it is possible with the bonded Project 321 adapter, to use spacers below the headtube, or only above? If I could space the head tube up 15-20mm I would be pretty happy.

The tallboy headtube is only 99mm (M & L) so will leave a lot of room with the 138mm lefty crown to crown.

Does anyone know?

Thanks for the help.

James
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    There is no "off the shelf" solution for what you looking for. (that I have ever seen)
    King makes a +10mm lower bearing race but it only works with the king 1.125" headset
    and the tallbody has the new tapered headset.
    You could use a spacer below but it would have to be custom made.
    You can't just thow spacers under the bearing race because the press
    fit diameter that the bearing race seats on is only about 6-8mm high.

What you really need is a 140mm lefty with a 30mm 29er travel reduction installed.
    Is it feasable to sell your current lefty and purchase a new one?

By the way an 80mm 29er lefty should have a 480mm axle to crown according to my info.
    Jake
    Project321
    877-584-7321
    http://www.project321.com/

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinbiter
    There is no "off the shelf" solution for what you looking for. (that I have ever seen)
    King makes a +10mm lower bearing race but it only works with the king 1.125" headset
    and the tallbody has the new tapered headset.
    You could use a spacer below but it would have to be custom made.
    You can't just thow spacers under the bearing race because the press
    fit diameter that the bearing race seats on is only about 6-8mm high.

What you really need is a 140mm lefty with a 30mm 29er travel reduction installed.
    Is it feasable to sell your current lefty and purchase a new one?

By the way an 80mm 29er lefty should have a 480mm axle to crown according to my info.
    Thank you pumpkinbiter

Wow, can't beat a response like that. Thanks for taking the time to answer my query. I also have a 110 DLR 2 that I will likely move to a FS 29er. I will reduce the travel on that to 80mm.

I really m not interested in a longer travel Lefty. The DLR Carbon SL OPI on my curent 29'er is the best and lightest fork I have ridden, the point is I don't want to step back from that.

Perhaps what this is leading to is that the Tallboy wont work for me and another round of disappointment In the lack of a FS Cannondale 29er.
    Last edited by NS2000X; 09-02-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Hey, your welcome!

I know your not looking for more travel but that's the only way to get the axle to crown measurement your looking for. You could take a 140 and cut it down to 80mm if you really wanted.
    Jake
    Project321
    877-584-7321
    http://www.project321.com/

Keep on Rockin...

New question here. Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    Thank you pumpkinbiter

Wow, can't beat a response like that. Hanks for taking the time to answer my query. I also have a 110 DLR 2 that I will likely move to a FS 29er. I will reduce the travel on that to 80mm.

I really m not interested in a longer travel Lefty. The DLR Carbon SL OPI on my curent 29'er is the best and lightest fork I have ridden, the point is I don't want to step back from that.

Perhaps what this is leading to is that the Tallboy wont work for me and another round of disappointment In the lack of a FS Cannondale 29er.
    Can't see why C'dale will not do a FS 29er and put this all to rest. A 29er 3-4" travel Lefty clad Scalpel would rival the Tallboy - probably beat it with the Lefty. Cannodale could then rest on that laurel for a long time. It's like they're being purposefully stuborn with releasing such a bike! A "pivotless", lightweight FS xc 29er stock with a Lefty - what's the big hold up?!?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    @ Miker J -

Just cause I'm a Homer, don't forget Lenz in your deliberations. More travel options than most, a short enough HT to fit a Lefty, and single pivot ride. It's basically a Cannondale, in small builder, made in the USA clothing

I'd go 140 Max too. Anything else and yeah, that 80 mm just gets kinda, well, short.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com