Thread: Lefty problem

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Lefty problem

This may be a dumb question but I am new to the biking world. My front and rear shocks (especially my front) were.getting some excessive sag in them, so i boughy a shock pump. I downloaded Cannondale's app. Everything went good with the rear shock.When I went to the front.shockand went to air it up it held pressure, but when i pulled the pump off oil came came out with it. I assume this is not normal. My question is how bad.is it. I am mechanically inclined (I work in maintenance rebuilding hyd and pneu cylinders regularly). Is this something tht I should be able to do or are there a lot of special tools you need? Thanks for the help in advance.

Nor­wegr
    Which Lefty model is it?
    There are unfortunately some proprietary tools involved with working on leftys.

I'm sure Mendon will be along shortly to give you a much more informed answer than I can

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The fork says lefty speed on it. I bought the bike used. When I bought it I went through the archives trying to find out what year it was. The only year the color scheme matched was the 09 Rush 7. The only problem was it didn't come with a lefty fork on it. I bought it.gif.com.a girl and her ex husband worked at a bike shop in PA. She couldn't give me any info on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Also, the rear shock doesn't match the Rush 7 either. It is a Fox RP23. The suspension matches a Rush 3 from the best I could tell. The neck of the frame and color match the Rush 7.
    Last edited by Brett99; 08-25-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: wrong word

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    When you say oil came out.... how much? Just a little squirt? That is normal (in my opinion) There is a bit of thick blue oil in the air chamber of every Lefty I've had ever owned and every time I pull the pump off just a tad comes out.... Now that I think about it I suppose you could minimize this by flopping your bike up-side down?...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quite a bit came out. It was a red oil too.

Sweater

Lefty problem

Quote Originally Posted by Brett99 View Post
    Quite a bit came out. It was a red oil too.
    Have you released all the pressure from the fork? If so, what does it sound/feel like when you cycle the damper?
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle