mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Lefty PBR lockout issues (clunk)

Just got this Lefty a couple days ago and love it, however when I am climbing in the lockout( button pushed) mode I am getting a little clunk. It feels like the headset is loose. I checked and re-did the headset and it runs awesome in normal mode. This has happened on every ride, just don't like the feeling in lock out mode. It is a alunm PBR ultra, extended 20mm then have the 29er kit in it. Ideas?

jms
    mtbr member

Kinda early

Quote Originally Posted by dapozer
    Just got this Lefty a couple days ago and love it, however when I am climbing in the lockout( button pushed) mode I am getting a little clunk. It feels like the headset is loose. I checked and re-did the headset and it runs awesome in normal mode. This has happened on every ride, just don't like the feeling in lock out mode. It is a alunm PBR ultra, extended 20mm then have the 29er kit in it. Ideas?
    Kinda early, but, time for a bearing reset? I've got @ 100+ miles on mine and it's been flawless, certainly no clunking or play @ the front end using the lock-out

Maybe a call to Project 321 would be in order.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yea, I call Jake today. Only 30 miles on it. Will do the baring reset also,

mtbr member
    There are some that have the same issue. At least I have. I have not ridden mine yet (waiting for my frame), but compressing the fork with the lockout engaged, it makes an audible clunk. See Lefty PBR Behaviour Question I guess it's perfectly normal and can be tuned.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have an alu. Lefty pbr 29er 90mm on my 2011 Flash 29er 2.

when I lock it out, it's like I have to push it a couple times for it to stiffen up. Then it seems like its locked out.

But when I'm riding it, it doesn't really lock out. I dont know if I'm pushing right through the blowoff or if the lockout isnt working.

I'm 235 lbs at the moment... I think I'm too heavy for it. Thoughts? I've heard of a heavier spring kit you can run in these forks. would that help?

mtbr member
    my 2010 SL/DLR Carbon lock out failed in the first week of use (last summer). The lock out just stopped working. My LBS sent it back to Cannondale for warranty repair (and provided a loaner lefty). Fork has been flawless sence ~200 miles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    235 is not to heavy for it, I started riding a lefty at 260, now 240ish. My lefty works flawlessly in the open position and I love every minute of it, when in lock out it locks out fine but I have a feeling of loose headset through the bars when hitting objects. I never really ride in lock out so not a hug issue for me. I just figure it's part of the pbr 120, then maxed out to 140, then reduce for 29er to 110. Seems like a lot of crazy changing of stuff. But i will ride a lefty for as long as I can. I love this half fork

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    Has anyone ever figure out why it doesn't ways lock out after being pressed down?
    My 2011 pbr lefty is started to do the same thing so I want to try an figure it out ASAP.
    Too much air? Does it need to be bleed?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    mine is fresh of Factory rebuild, and it is doing it to. In fact, that is the reason it was sent in. Last time it did it fresh of the first rebuild, it eventually turned into lock out not working at all. Needless to say im worried that this fork will to turn into a bad unit....for the 3rd time in less then a year.