mtbr member

Lefty pbr 140 damper service information

Hi guys i placed this message under the lefty sticky, however, i thought i would put the thread here in the hope of getting a reply.
    I am really desperate for help on self servicing my lefty here in The UK. more specifically, I am hoping to service the damper on my brilliant Lefty Max 140 pbr from my beautiful rz140. I have spent a good few hours trawling these threads to find a guide on how to do this on this specific model but seem to be getting no where on the specific procedure for this model. Can anyone help?

I want to top up or replace the oil on the damper as it is getting a little clunky and lock out is poor (and maybe change seals etc).

I would like to know the general procedure, which tool is needed to remove the damper, how to replace the oil and which oil is best.

Thanks

Morgs

Sweater

You really only need the castle tool and a spanner wrench. Make sure you release the pressure from the fork too. Changing the oil is pretty straight forward. There's a link in one of the stickies that shows you step by step how to service the damper. It's not specifically for the PBR but it works. I used Finish Line 7.5wt in mine to slow it down a little but and have been really happy.
    Ouch

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    You really only need the castle tool and a spanner wrench. Make sure you release the pressure from the fork too. Changing the oil is pretty straight forward. There's a link in one of the stickies that shows you step by step how to service the damper. It's not specifically for the PBR but it works. I used Finish Line 7.5wt in mine to slow it down a little but and have been really happy.
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of the castle tool KH031 here in The UK. Qterly usually stock them, but won't have them for a while. I could rent, borrow or buy.

Thanks

Morgs

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of the castle tool KH031 here in The UK. Qterly usually stock them, but won't have them for a while. I could rent, borrow or buy.

Thanks

Morgs
    Cannondale 2013 Super Castle Lefty Hybrid Needle Cartridge Tool White KH103 | eBay
    Ouch

Sweater
    There's also the shaft clamp tools. It can be done without it but you need to be really careful not to scratch the damper shaft. I've found leather works really well for clamping things in a vice that you don't want to scratch or mar.
    Ouch

mtbr member

There's also the shaft clamp tools. It can be done without it but you need to be really careful not to scratch the damper shaft. I've found leather works really well for clamping things in a vice that you don't want to scratch or mar.
    Hi thanks for the help. What do you mean by the shaft clamp tool? Does it allow you to remove damper without castle tool?

Sweater
    Once you remove the damper you have to remove the negative air chamber seal which is at the bottom of the damper shaft. Follow the instructions here, the fork is different but the instructions are close enough that it will guide you through. You need to remove that seal to perform the bleed procedure. This article calls it the negative spring perch. And no, you need the castle tool for sure.

http://maximatgmh.free.fr/Instructio...fty%20DLR2.pdf
    Ouch

mtbr member

Once you remove the damper you have to remove the negative air chamber seal which is at the bottom of the damper shaft. Follow the instructions here, the fork is different but the instructions are close enough that it will guide you through. You need to remove that seal to perform the bleed procedure. This article calls it the negative spring perch. And no, you need the castle tool for sure.

http://maximatgmh.free.fr/Instructio...fty%20DLR2.pdf
    Ok, I have now purchased the castle tool and removed the damper. Just to confirm, I remove the lower seal only (negative chamber i believe) and not the top one near the bleed port.

Do I then remove the piston drain and refill the oil. All seals look in very good condition, it seems as though there is a little bit of fluid missing

Sweater

You will need to remove the plastic one near the bleed port on the damper to fill the oil chamber. You need to remove the one at the end of the shaft to perform the bleed procedure.
    Ouch

mtbr member

Thanks for all the help and advice on servicing the damper. I have now successfully completed the service. Wow, it is now super USB again. The oil that came out the damper was black and mucky and there was definitely some missing. I reckon pre service I was getting no damping at all!

I can honestly say that with the right tools the process was quiet enjoyable and relaxing. Really glad I learnt to do it myself.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    Thanks for all the help and advice on servicing the damper. I have now successfully completed the service. Wow, it is now super USB again. The oil that came out the damper was black and mucky and there was definitely some missing. I reckon pre service I was getting no damping at all!

I can honestly say that with the right tools the process was quiet enjoyable and relaxing. Really glad I learnt to do it myself.
    Sorry should wow, it is now super plush again