mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Lefty "overextending" during bearing reset

Tried to reset my Carbon Max 140 SPV the other day, all was going fine, with the rebound knob sitting lower and lower in the fork with each extension.

The knocks had started to become firmer so I knew I was getting to the right point when, on the next extension, the rebound knob disappeared down the outer tube and the lefty was about 50% longer than it should be.

I've put it back together and it 'feels' fine and as it should do after a bearing reset, but I'm worried about riding it. I'm guessing the top hats will stop the fork overextending when riding, but would like to know for sure.

Really cant afford a repair/service at the moment, been out of work 8 months and moneys very tight (struggling to justify keeping the bike as it is) so would like to know if I could fix it myself or is something not to worry about?

Thanks.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sadly, it needs to get put back together. You blew the split ring out of the end of the upper leg.

Don't ride it, at all.

I understand your financial situation, and it sucks that you can't ride now, but if you do, you will only cost yourself more $ in broken parts, and possibly injure yourself in the process.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thought that was going to be the answer :-( at least I start a new job on Monday so hopefully it wont be long till I can get it repaired. I have another bike I can ride in the meantime, so not too bad.

Just out of interest is this a common problem and what have I done wrong? This is my 5th lefty and I've never had any problems with the others, but this is the first carbon and first with SPV.

Quote Originally Posted by kieranbennett View Post
    Thought that was going to be the answer :-(

Just out of interest is this a common problem and what have I done wrong? This is my 5th lefty and I've never had any problems with the others, but this is the first carbon and first with SPV.
    Yep, sorry....

Seems like the carbons do it more then the alloys, but to be fair, I see one, maybe two or three times a year. And I deal with hundreds of forks a year.

The snap ring that holds it together is an okay design, but couple it with a lighter preload built fork (so it cycles really easily during reset) and someone trying to really reset that sucker, rather than the "whack whack whump, okay feels like the bottom, oh yeah, that cap is a good ways into the upper now" mindset, and you often have exactly what you got.

The newer spiral clip prevents that from happening to much higher degree, and will drop right into yours as an upgrade when you get it fixed (I'd make sure to ask for it though...)

The SPV has nothing to do with it just FYI.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So, I've got a 2011 Lefty alloy with PBR. When I reset, the manual says extend firmly until you hear it change from a hollow sound to a solid sound. How firmly is that? I mean, I am not going to get my buddy to hold the other end and pull, but also want to do it right. Any other sign that i've done it right?

Just a flesh wound

You will know

I put both feet on the bottom of the front wheel and pull vigorously upward on the handle bars multiple times. The top of the rebound knob goes deeper into the Lefty and then I feel the "thunk" that says that you have arrived at bearing reset Nirvana.

It's as easy as that. 4 minutes.

For everything else, I send it to Mendon.

It is a Lefty Max TPC 140.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

How hard?

I'd say about as much force as driving a nail with a hammer. You're not trying to kill it, but you're also not giving your new born it's first bath.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com