I like to ride my bike.

Lefty Off to Cannondale...Suggestions?

A bit late to be posting this, but tomarrow I'll be sending my Lefty to the local REI and have them ship it off to Cannondale. I have some things in mind, but if you want to comment, please do. It's a 2006 DLR2 110.

1) Get rebound / top cap / silver prong assembly replaced as I've been stupid and managed to strip / destroy these parts and I figure while its there, might as well have that taken care of.
    2) Have a lighter compression and rebound shim put in. The bike is a large, therefore, I'm assuming the Lefty internals are specific to the frame size. (In assumption that the rider will be heavier / lighter.) The rebound is too slow and I'd like less compression damping. If I do this, will it affect the stiffness of the lockout?
    3) Have them look over the bearings. I've always had to reset the bearings constantly, and hopefully they can fix this.

I've already gotten a softer (softest) negative spring put in. I generally have 100psi and weight 130ish without gear.

So, any suggestions to make?
    Thanks!
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    should have sent it to Mendon

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapTrek
    I always had the incling that Mendon worked on Leftys, but never really was sure. I feel like an idiot now. Not to sound like an , but what does he do differant from C' Dale that will be an advantage? Sort of like the PUSH of Leftys, or what?

Thanks!
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Ditto. I'm sending my Lefty to him in about a month. I heard he's one of the best Lefty mechanics there is.

mtbr member
    Landry's works on Leftys too.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Geez, thanks! Good to know someones got my back

In all honesty, Cannondale, will (of course) do a fine job. I get a fair bit of business from folks who want to pay a bit less, wait a bit less, and not be subject to things like a rush fee for a quicker turnaround. I have a ton of the most common stuff in stock, but they have the advantage of the whole factory as a parts room. Luckily for me, I'm one state away, and see ordered parts in a few days time. If you're interested, look me up next time around
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mendon(Craig) gets all of my Lefty business from now on

lurkio
    Jul 2007
    I know Leftys are good, but, suspension has moved on. Think about an alternative.
    We went, earth, sky, earth sky, earth skyambulance

Quote Originally Posted by si,s
    Think about an alternative.
    Um, okay. Cannondale's been showing a Righty.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by si,s
    I know Leftys are good, but, suspension has moved on. Think about an alternative.
    Since the Lefty was ahead of it's time. Then, other suspensions should have caught up. However, I have ridden both. The fork suspension is still not as stiff and controlled as a Lefty. So, I guess we are still happily stuck with our Leftys.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 10-07-2007 at 08:36 PM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    ...what he said

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Really??? Go ride a Fox 36 - Yeah it's heavier, but I'd bet that I DONT go through three Fox 36's like I did MY Lefty. Oh yeah - and I have tons more adjustment than that Lefty did too - rides smoother, etc.

I don't know about the 32... Maybe it isn't as stiff as a lefty, but it'd be worth trying for more of a XC rig.

In having bad luck with three of them (Lefty), I'll never own another. Good luck with your rebuild.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think that we need something like the Eighty Aid (88+) company that Europe Cdale users have. They tune your fork in every aspect (air, oil wt., pressure, etc) and specifically to your weight & riding style (www.eighty-aid.com).
    Maybe you Craig @ Mendon Cyclesmith headquarters could start an official tunning program for our forks
    Attached Images Attached Images

lurkio
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shag555
    Really??? Go ride a Fox 36 - Yeah it's heavier, but I'd bet that I DONT go through three Fox 36's like I did MY Lefty. Oh yeah - and I have tons more adjustment than that Lefty did too - rides smoother, etc.

I don't know about the 32... Maybe it isn't as stiff as a lefty, but it'd be worth trying for more of a XC rig.

In having bad luck with three of them (Lefty), I'll never own another. Good luck with your rebuild.
    What he said.
    We went, earth, sky, earth sky, earth skyambulance

Quote Originally Posted by schuster_md
    Maybe you Craig @ Mendon Cyclesmith headquarters could start an official tunning program for our forks
    Well, I service quite a few, I've been pushing Cannondale to offer "Authorized Service Center" designations, but they consider themselves to be it, and don't see the need to suggest any others. That said though, they'll sell me whatever I need, and I'll take on any Lefty issue that comes my way

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

I like to ride my bike.
    Well, after about 3 weeks it's back. $100. Feels about the same. Maybe if I had my Lefty before and after side by side to compress I could feel a significant differance.
    Nothing mindblowing though. The noticable stuff is a slightly faster rebound, all parts requested to be replaced were replaced. I'm still not sold on the Lefty. It's insanely stiff (makes a Reba terrifiyng to ride)....but it's feel just isn't that smooth and the rebound is still slow-ish.
    Maybe Mendon would have been the better option, or maybe I'm just not a Lefty person. This weekend, I'll do some riding and see how it does on the trails.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Give it some miles. The grease they use is rather thick, and will definately slow down the rebound. Once broken in, the typical rebound is so fast, as to be non existent, when fully open.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shag555

Hmm, well my 36 has the most stichion and worst damping of any fork I have ridden. It is seriously the pits. I have had it rebuilt and still no good. So should I say that fox makes dumpy forks because I had a bad experience? I say they make great product, and have great service. I just happened to be the unlucky one to get a lemon. I have had four different travel lefty's 80 (29'er lefty) 100, 110, and 130, with all performing beautifully. If you take care of your lefty it will work forever. If you are unlucky and get a lemon, give cdale a chance, they will get you going and make sure your lefty works for as long as you have your bike,.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    Hmm, well my 36 has the most stichion and worst damping of any fork I have ridden. It is seriously the pits. I have had it rebuilt and still no good. So should I say that fox makes dumpy forks because I had a bad experience? I say they make great product, and have great service. I just happened to be the unlucky one to get a lemon. I have had four different travel lefty's 80 (29'er lefty) 100, 110, and 130, with all performing beautifully. If you take care of your lefty it will work forever. If you are unlucky and get a lemon, give cdale a chance, they will get you going and make sure your lefty works for as long as you have your bike,.
    AMEN

I like to ride my bike.
    After 4 hours of riding today, the Lefty feels the same as yesterday. Should I allow for 20ish hours? I guess I will as forks are expensive and so are new wheels and headsets and stems....So, hopefully it feels better by then.

I still have a Reba in the back of my mind. I'm still young and my weight increases, riding style changes, etc. I can't keep sending the fork back every year to swap out the internals as I grow. With a regular fork, it's just a few plastic things, two air chambers and some oil. All I have to do is change the pressure, turn a few knobs, and I have a whole new fork. With the Lefty, new shims, negative springs, oil weights....

I must admit, the Lefty being made in the USA, stiffness, cool factor, and design are all pretty sweet. So, I really want to like the Lefty.

Thanks to everybody for your help and Mendon especially...you guys have been great.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mad aussie
    Actually the Lefty is one of the easiest forks to work on overall, If you have never torn into a Fox there are a lot of internals in there. Chances are you would have do the same with a Reba or Fox as your weight increases. You have to change oil weight and make adjustments with any hydraulic damped fork. That is why Push Industries have made such a name for themselves in offering custom rebuild options for Fox forks.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a 96 Super V with a Fatty headshock that has ???? miles on it. I have sent it back to C-dale once, after the dealer that I got it from was no longer a C-dale dealer and the new guys did not know the headshocks. It was re-built completely, back in a couple of weeks and has worked great ever since. The fox shock on the back of said bike, however, is a different story. It lost all oil through the seal, I could not find ANYONE to service it (it was oviously the same age as the headshock fork) except Fox and they quoted me between $75 and $120 to rebuild with a month plus turnaround time. Luckily I had the vanilla and not the ALPS 4 on mine or I would have been SOL. Time to buy a new bike due to a $100 rear shock. I had a friend of mine take shock apart, with absolutely no support from Fox- they would not even sell us a seal kit. We could not find the exact quad seal at first and used an oring- which worked fine, but the top out bumper that we used since the old one was hammered came apart in the oil and filled rebound hole causing shock to compress and not rebound at all. I then found out about PUSH and since they are right around the corner from me I stopped in to see if they could make the shock work. They told me I was holding a time bomb in my hand...that with 750 lbs/inch of pressure it would be impossible to take apart... etc. I took it home, put it in the vise to compress shock, and had it apart in 5 minutes- made me loose a little faith in Fox and Push. We used a different material for top out bumper and shock has worked pretty good ever since.
    Long story short- in my opinion- if you want something to last and you want to be able to service it in a few years give the lefty a chance. If you want something that will last maybe 5 years, become obsolete, and require a complete replacement after that time- go with Fox.
    BTW, the friend of mine that helped me fix my shock used to work for Fox shocks and still could not get any support. He now has my Lefty going through it to see what he thinks and set it up for me. He also runs a M/C suspension business, Warp Speed Designs, and is thinking of getting into the MTB business. Which would be good, as he can think out of the box and not need a bolt on/off "kit" that a 5th grader could install to fix something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ridefaster - I went through the some of same things as you (although I made all the changes myself - as flying wobat says, leftys are actually pretty easy to work on) - changed negative spring, oil weight, shims.

In the end I've swaped my DLR2 for a travel reduced Lefty MAX (although I didn't reduce it to 110mm - I wanted a bit more travel and ride height).
    The basic shim damper in the DLR2 is a bit of a pain to tune, and can't really offer the same performance as a more sophisticated damping system like SPV or TPC+.