Kanonkuglen.dk

Lefty: No variation in rebound?

The rebound on my Lefty DLR II seem to be almost the same in any setting! There is only a very small variation in rebound - how could that be? What's wrong?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It shouldn't need to vary much - there is only a very narrow range where it is setup correctly

Anyway, it will have little effect if your rebound shim stack is quite flexible (ie. set up for a lighter rider). Are you running more air pressure than recomended for your valving/negative spring (Cannondale spec firmer springs and valving on larger frames)?
    Last edited by GlenH; 07-09-2007 at 06:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It shouldn't need to vary much - there is only a very narrow range where it is setup correctly

Anyway, it will have little effect if your rebound shim stack is quite flexible (ie. set up for a lighter rider). Are you running a more air pressure than recomended for your valving/negative spring (Cannondale spec firmer springs and valving on larger frames)?

Kanonkuglen.dk

Im running...

Thanks for the answer. But im running recommended pressure, and was just wondering about the almost non existing rebound variation compared to a friends similar fork, and my other lefty's! So I was thinking if some of you guys knew that to do to get the rebound back on track:-)!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well, the rebound dial in the DLR2 adjusts the size of the bleed/bypass port on the rebound circuit. If it doesn't make much difference then there are two possible reasons:

1. It isn't changing the size of the port - perhaps the thread on the rod which screws in/out of the port when you use the dial is damaged, or your dial isn't actually turning the rod (is the grub screw tight?).

2. The oil flows too easily past the rebound shim stack, so the size of the bypass port doesn't really matter. ie. it is valved incorrectly for your spring rate (air pressure), the shims are damaged, or the shims are loose (this could happen if the damper shaft unscrews from the valve).

The only way to find out for sure is to take the damper apart.

Kanonkuglen.dk
    Thanks Glen... I will try to take the damper apart and report back soon:-)!

mtbr member
    I am having the same problem. I guess the rebound piston ring (the blue ring on it) could be worn out. I ordered them now, we will see. Part no. kf224.
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web

mtbr member
    Just tied a brand new Lefty Max 140 and this made me think. The rebound adjustment range is DRAMATIC. With the rebound closed you can watch the fork crawling back from compressed.
    I tried fixing mine with heavier oil and cleaning up the inners but no significant changes.
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web