mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Lefty Needle Bearings warranty

Hi All,
    I own Prophet 1000 for the last half year.
    After riding on it more than 1500 Km, I gave the lefty to my LBS for semi annual periodic maintanace.
    At the LBS thay told me that the needle bearings are worn out, and need to be replaced.
    They also told me that although its in the first year warranty, the bearings are not included in the first year warranty, and I had to pay for them.

Has anyone experienced such a case with his needle bearings?

Are the needle bearing included in the first year warranty of the Lefty?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I think you need to find a new shop.

First the Lefty is completely coverd by Canondale for one year, including the bearings.

Second I seriously doubt that your bearings are worn out unless you have been riding thru salt water and sand. Does the fork feel any diffrent to you? If they are bad it should feel rough and/or loose.

Again I think your shop is trying to take you. Did they say anything about replacing your muffler bearing too?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by raelx
    I think you need to find a new shop.

First the Lefty is completely coverd by Canondale for one year, including the bearings.

Second I seriously doubt that your bearings are worn out unless you have been riding thru salt water and sand. Does the fork feel any diffrent to you? If they are bad it should feel rough and/or loose.

Again I think your shop is trying to take you. Did they say anything about replacing your muffler bearing too?
    I am also divining that his flux capacitor needs recalibration= Worn out? HUH? never heard of worn out needle bearings, ever. Plentyt of corroded ones from contamination, did they replace races too? Did they give you the old parts? If so, were they all rusty? That would mean contamination, which is not warranty stuff, warranty covers manufacturers' defect, which water and grit in the system, is not. Mind you I am not defending what sounds very dubious, just making sure noone makes a stink where none is indicated!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I saw the old bearing

...and they were not rusted.
    According to the shop, the reason for replacement was "beginning of cracks in the bearings" which I couldn't see in my eyes. Also the plastic cage of the bearing was broken, but I think it happaned after the replacement, because it wasn't the reason for that.

My main question is: If the bearings had to be replaced due to "cracks" and not rust, is it part of the first year warranty?

I issued that question to Cannondale's customer Support and didn't receive any reply yet, so I would like to hear your opinions...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eligr
    ...and they were not rusted.
    According to the shop, the reason for replacement was "beginning of cracks in the bearings" which I couldn't see in my eyes. Also the plastic cage of the bearing was broken, but I think it happaned after the replacement, because it wasn't the reason for that.

My main question is: If the bearings had to be replaced due to "cracks" and not rust, is it part of the first year warranty?

I issued that question to Cannondale's customer Support and didn't receive any reply yet, so I would like to hear your opinions...
    If they are cracked, and that was due to the fork being assembled with too much "bearing preload" which refers to how easily the outer tube slides, and is affected by race thickness inside the fork, then yes, they (Cannondale) screwed up, and will warranty them. Beyond that, it comes down to human decision, and how good a person your rep is. Frankly I am not buying the story though, as I am imagining how they could crack, but have never seen it in 15+ years of rebuilding them. If I might venture a possibility, you said the plastic retainer was broken? Perhaps a ham-fisted mechanic broke them, and came up with the Emperors' new clothes story to cover his screw up. Just a thought. Good luck with it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    the first batch of prophet came with bad bearings in the lefty. it would have felt bad the day you bought it. the bearings they use are such high quality they shouldnt need to be replaced. they need to be reset occasionally and greased. the only bad bearings i ever see are on old headshocks, and that is still rare

Members who have read this thread: 1