mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Lefty model differences

I just bought a Scalpel frame and was looking for a Lefty. I see that there have been a few different models available and wanted to get some opinions on there use. I plan to build the Scalpel for endurance racing.
    What is the difference between the DLR and DLR2? What about the terralogic forks? Carbon?
    Educate me

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    DLR was the original Lefty - DLR2 obviously its protoge but with improvments... Have you thought about a Headshok instead??? Or do you absolutely have to have that Lefty?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shag555
    DLR was the original Lefty - DLR2 obviously its protoge but with improvments... Have you thought about a Headshok instead??? Or do you absolutely have to have that Lefty?
    shag555, just because you don't like Lefty's don't try to talk everybody else out of them too.

shag555 quote from another post: Perhaps - Cannondale should have DROPPED the Lefty design several years back as well (I know that'll bring all kinds of opposition here but what the hell, it's the truth).

jekyllrider, check out this site: http://www.golefty.com/flash.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have looked at the current Lefty website, but I am also looking at previous models too. I was hoping for some feedback on one vs. another. 100 vs. 110mm. Carbon vs DLR2. Terralogic. Any preferences? Which model would you pick if you could have any model?

Like catnip for people
    Maybe it's just me but I hear nothing but bad things about Terralogics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well... the Scapel is equipped with the DLR series of Lefty's. I've owned several Lefty's over the years including a couple of the original DLR's on a F-series hardtail, a DLR2 on a Rush and currently a MAX 140 on my Prophet. If I were you I would check eBay for a nice DLR2 in either regular (or carbon if you want to spend about $1000). There are always several available. Personally, I really like Lefty's and have NEVER had a negative experience with any of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    Maybe it's just me but I hear nothing but bad things about Terralogics.
    I have to agree, although I have never owned a Terralogic Lefty I have also heard lots of stories about them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have been watching different models on ebay. Was hoping someone can tell me the differences between the models. What is different about the DLR2 from the DLR? Someone said the carbon ones had problems (recall?). What makes one model better than another?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyllrider
    I have been watching different models on ebay. Was hoping someone can tell me the differences between the models. What is different about the DLR2 from the DLR? Someone said the carbon ones had problems (recall?). What makes one model better than another?
    The original DLR had 100MM of travel. There were two versions of the DLR the regular and the titanium spindle version. The original DLR's do not allow for bearing reset by the owner. Has lockout and air adjustable internals.

The DLR2 has 110MM of travel and is/was available in regular, carbon and Terralogic. Bearing reset is a 5 minute process by owner. The DLR2 had a recall just because there was some Loctite missing on the inner threads- not a functional problem at all. Has lockout and air adjustable inners with a weight specific negative spring for differnet rider weights.

The MAX originally was a 130MM travel but later models were 140MM. The MAX came in FFD, TPC and SPV models with a carbon option. Bearing reset easily done by the owner. No lockout and a weight specific coil spring inner with additional adjustments on the TPC and SPV.

I think that about covers it.

Since you have a Scapel I would recommend a DLR2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    What about the ELO I see one for sale on e-bay? Are that any good?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishsick
    Ah... I forgot about the ELO. It was a 100MM DLR with a battery-powered circuit that remotely activates the lockout (ELO=Electronic Lock Out). I never had one of those.

As far as your question about what makes one better than the others- it's not really about which one is a better fork rather which one is better for your frame. The Scapel geometry is designed for the DLR or DLR2. I wouldn't put a MAX on it. The Jekyll has used the original DLR and later a MAX 130.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishsick
    Unless your the type of person who buys the runt in the litter, and the one off design car, just because they only made three of them, avoid the ELO. They are far harder to find parts for ( the damper cartridge and lockout unit, not the slider portion which is the same ELO/DLR) and are abit more fragile to boot, due to a wire from the thumb button to the fork top. All this assumes of course, you're buying a DLR....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Thanks!

Thanks vitaccop and others for the input. Now I just need to find a good one for sale.