mtbr member

Lefty Max XLR bearing reset HELP!!!

So, i've got a race this weekend and i noticed that my fork was riding a little low. I'm in the middle of trying to reset the bearings. i've only been riding it for about four weeks now, so that's a little disappointing. Anyway, i finally got the bearings back into place, but when i try to put the cap back on, i can't get the hydro lockout to work. it won't push in. Ideas???? Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    if it makes any difference, it's a 2011 carbon max set up at 110mm of travel for a 29r

mtbr member
    ok, now i've got it on and the lockout seems to work, but the rebound adjustment knob is pretty much locked in place. when tightening the top cap, i had to make sure the rebound know was still. if it rotated, then the lockout wouldn't work. thoughts?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Okay, deep breath. Another. Annnnnd another.

Feel better yet?

Not understanding how things work can be frustrating for sure.

For starters, getting bummed because your chain needs oil, or your tires need air sounds silly right? Ditto here. It's just maintenance, and it needs to be done periodically. And once you understand how to do it, it literally takes less time than dealing with the two things mentioned above.

If you find after a while that it's just too soon, like, every few rides you lose a bunch (like a few inches) of travel, it can be slowed down by increasing bearing preload (a shop job). Different riders experience different levels of migration, and there's no right or wrong, just what your fork does, with you on top of it, and what you want.

The XLR has a hexagonal opening, which corresponds with a hexagonal "key" down inside the shaft at the top. The rebound knob drives that whole shaft, the XLR aspect simply pushes it down and lets it back up. There is NO way anything you did during the act of resetting did anything to damage those functions. It'd be like thinking slamming your car door, gave you a flat tire. Just not even related.

I'm guessing that your struggles simply got the rebound shaft cranked all the way to one end or another and it's now stuck.

Driving from the back seat as I am, I can't tell you which way to turn it, but the lock out working says all is not ruined by any means.

If your shop that you bought it at is comfortable with these forks, take it to them, and let them help.

Don't force it, but I'm sure that goes without saying.

For future reference, simply apply light pressure to the XLR and rotate till you feel the "socket" drop onto the "bolt head", then snug down your cap. Simple.

Forced too far, the rebound will get bound up. Knowing which end of the rebound range you had it at prior to all this may help in determining which way it needs to be twisted to release the shaft.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    oops, posted this twice

mtbr member
    i've gotten it all back together with the lockout working and the rebound adjustment able to move. you get to a point and it just binds everything up again. I don't think i'm turning it too far. how much is the rebound adjuster supposed to turn? It doesn't look like the hex key is stripped, so i don't know why it wouldn't feel like a hard stop. also, after i got the fork, i was messing with what i thought was the blow off adjustment...i guess it is on rock shocks. i now see in the manual that it says not to touch it. how much might that hurt the fork.

thanks for your help

Do you have an acceptable range of rebound adjustment? If so, leave well enough alone for the meantime. Have it checked out when you get it serviced at some point.

The threshold adjuster does nothing on this fork, it's a vestigial bit not worth Cannondales paying RS to have them remove from the control piece. It also won't hurt anything by moving but just the same, don't bother.

You should get several rotations of adjustment, but from fully slow (clockwise till it stops) you only have a turn or two of really functional range, the rest is just for twiddling

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    actually, when i turn the rebound adjustment, the lockout stops working. i understand that it's independent, one turns, the other pushes. i think i'm throwing in the towel for this morning and going to work.

thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    actually, when i turn the rebound adjustment, the lockout stops working.
    Okay, so what I think has happened is that you've jammed some parts that should be independent of one another, together, and they are stuck.

You'll need to A) be aware of the need to fit the hexes together next time, and B) find a source to get the damper torn down so those parts can be un-stuck from one another. Either your hopefully mechanically competent LBS, or Cannondale, or one of the other places around the globe that does this sort of work.

Can't say for sure there's no damage, but hopefully it'll just be a tear down, separate and rebuild on your damper. Not life threatening, so have a nice day

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com