mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Lefty Max won't hold air psi ?

Hi Guys

I have a lefty max alloy and everytime i fill with air at the bottom of shock as soon as i disconnect the shock pump it lets all the air out?

The bike is almost new never been used for over a year its a Cannondale Rize 3 really i am lost with this its not my pump as its fine on my wifes bike and the rear shock rp2

Also everytime i reconnect the shock pump it reads 0 psi could it be a simple fix valve maybe? Lockout works fine to

Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Terry

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Unless the fork/shock pump combo is known to be a happy pairing, first thing I'd do is try a different pump.

Also, look at the valve. If the needle is way down inside, it's one of the wacky deep valves that popped up for a while. Drop a small ball bearing, little tiny nip of copper wire, etc into the valve prior to installing the pump. Anything tiny will allow the pump you have to gain a bit more reach towards the pin. Just be careful no to crank it on all the way, or you'll flarg up your valve.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Unless the fork/shock pump combo is known to be a happy pairing, first thing I'd do is try a different pump.

Also, look at the valve. If the needle is way down inside, it's one of the wacky deep valves that popped up for a while. Drop a small ball bearing, little tiny nip of copper wire, etc into the valve prior to installing the pump. Anything tiny will allow the pump you have to gain a bit more reach towards the pin. Just be careful no to crank it on all the way, or you'll flarg up your valve.

Thanks for the fast reply

Its a funny one as the shock pump works fine with all my other bikes? but no has never been paired with my new rize so will deffo try a differnt pump from my mates

Can you please in simple terms explain again about ball bearing and wire trick i really am not clever with things like this lol

I am off to shed now to look at valve

Quote Originally Posted by grchmason View Post
    Can you please in simple terms explain again about ball bearing and wire trick i really am not clever with things like this lol
    Basically, if your valve pin is deep inside your pump won't have deep enough reach to compress it. A little piece of thick wire (house electric copper etc) or a tiny ball bearing will extend the reach of your pump. Either put it in the pump head prior to install, or, if the valve is facing up, pop it on the valve prior to install.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi Mate

I can not thank you enough!!!!!!

Found a small ball bearing and worked a treat i was thinking to myself please work. i do hope the shock has not got to come apart

Thank you again really have made my day!

Terry from the UK

Quote Originally Posted by grchmason View Post
    Hi Mate

I can not thank you enough!!!!!!

Found a small ball bearing and worked a treat i was thinking to myself please work. i do hope the shock has not got to come apart

Thank you again really have made my day!

Terry from the UK
    Cool, glad it helped

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com