mtbr member

Lefty Max Travel Issue

Can someone please repost how to fix the Lefty Max when it starts to lose travel. I remember a post by someone here that explained it but I can't find it anymore. I've had my Prophet 1000 for over two years and I think the travel is down a bit. I think I remember the distance between the tire and crown to be 6" when new and now it is 5.5". I'm not going to do the fix myself I just want to have it so the shop guys don't look at me like I'm an idiot.

LA CHÈVRE
    You have to reset the bearings, there are a few threads on that, how to do it but it's also explained in the Lefty Max Manual, page 32. It's very easy to do, you need a Hollowtech II crank tool (pictured below) to open the top cap though...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy
    Can someone please repost how to fix the Lefty Max when it starts to lose travel. I remember a post by someone here that explained it but I can't find it anymore. I've had my Prophet 1000 for over two years and I think the travel is down a bit. I think I remember the distance between the tire and crown to be 6" when new and now it is 5.5". I'm not going to do the fix myself I just want to have it so the shop guys don't look at me like I'm an idiot.
    Here's the official cannondale link:
    http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...plement_en.pdf
    It shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes to reset the bearings.
    All you need is a shimano or similar bb tool to open the top cap, that's it.
    I wouldn't bring it to the shop, especially if they aren't familiar with c'dale products.
    The bearing migration procedure should be done (acc. to c'dale) every 25 hours of riding.
    Hope this helps.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Here's the official cannondale link:
    http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...plement_en.pdf
    It shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes to reset the bearings.
    All you need is a shimano or similar bb tool to open the top cap, that's it.
    I wouldn't bring it to the shop, especially if they aren't familiar with c'dale products.
    The bearing migration procedure should be done (acc. to c'dale) every 25 hours of riding.
    Hope this helps.
    Dan already posted it so never mind....

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks guys.

Another question. My wife has an '07 Rush 5 with the DLR2. Does her fork need this adjustment as well? I noticed the top out noise when I rode it (actually both shocks were making noise even though they were at the correct pressure).

Thanks,
    Kevin

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy
    Awesome, thanks guys.

Another question. My wife has an '07 Rush 5 with the DLR2. Does her fork need this adjustment as well? I noticed the top out noise when I rode it (actually both shocks were making noise even though they were at the correct pressure).

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Yes, every headshok fork should undergo this procedure very once so often...
    Bearing migration can even happen on a fatty fork.
    The total length of the forks are different, but the procedure is pretty much the same.

LA CHÈVRE
    On a DLR2, you have to take the lock-out lever off before but the rest of the procedure is pretty much the same. On Headshoks, it's not as simple.

The frequency of bearing resets depends on a few things. Some forks are tighter than others, they will be less smooth but will go longer between resets. Alos, if you ride harder, jump a lot, do many drops, ride trails with big hits, rocks, it will accelerate migration. Also, if you bottom out, it really accelerates the need to reset it...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    On a DLR2, you have to take the lock-out lever off before but the rest of the procedure is pretty much the same. On Headshoks, it's not as simple.

The frequency of bearing resets depends on a few things. Some forks are tighter than others, they will be less smooth but will go longer between resets. Alos, if you ride harder, jump a lot, do many drops, ride trails with big hits, rocks, it will accelerate migration. Also, if you bottom out, it really accelerates the need to reset it...
    Okay you have to take out the cartridge on a HeadShok before you can thrust down the fork.... By "Pretty much the same" I meant the way the procedure itself is performed...
    And Yes on a Lefty with Lockout you have to remove the lever (I just tried to keep it simple).
    I don't get that much air on my bike and yet still have to reset the bearings like every 15 hrs. of riding...

mtbr member
    Woodsguy : Do you realise that you are to service your Lefty (or any fork for that matter ) annually ??
    If you haven' t in two years , no wonder your having issues .

mtbr member
    I'm not having issues just a little loss of travel. The fork still works perfectly. Besides, I had a shop rebuild it last summer and will again this winter/spring.

I am going to get a bb tool so I can reset the bearings myself. I do alot of small jumps, drops, and technical riding so I should probably reset it every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks again guys.