mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Lefty Max too stiff

My wife and I own 2 2006 Cannondale Prophets. She has a medium frame and I have a Large frame. Her lefty has the red spring and it is far stiffer than mine with a black spring in it.

I have re-cycled the fork and regreased the lowers and it seems to only have gotten stiffer since the maintenence.

Short of buying a new spring, how can I make it nice and supple like mine?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just an idea but is it less supple when you ride her bike as well as when she rides? If she weighs below the recomended limits for the red spring it might feel stiff to her because of her light weight. Another thing to check is the rebound setting and spring pre-load. Last week I did a spring change on my MAX 140 FFD from a black to a red because I weigh 165-170 which is right at the red/black dividing line. I have noticed a big difference (much more responsive) with the red spring.

Ridin' dirty!
    Are both Lefty's the same?
    What type of bikes/fork do you have?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Both Lefty's are exactly the same other than the spring. Her fork with the red spring feels much, much stiffer than mine with the black spring. I took both caps off to press on the springs by hand and the red spring seems to take twice the force to compress. When I cycled the fork to reposition migrated bearings (if any) she felt that it made her fork even stiffer, which is what helped me to discover that her fork was much stiffer than mine, though I dont really know what it felt like before.

mtbr member

Are they TPC or SPV?

That sounds strange. Maybe the compression damping is causing this. Maybe she has thicker fork oil. You said you took the springs out of the shock and cycled them by hand?

Not sure on this one. replacing the spring with a black might not solve the problem. I'll asume some of the experts here will chime in

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Considering that Red is a step softer than Black, I'm flummoxed. Particularly since they are exactly the same forks. If nothing has been done to them, there's no chance that different oil, etc, has been introduced.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Try swapping the springs between the two forks.
    At least then you can see if it is the spring, or something else that is the problem.

It could be that your wife's fork is over damped for some reason? Perhaps is was valved incorrectly when built, or maybe it's not really a red spring?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Try swapping the springs between the two forks - that should at least tell you if it is the spring or something else that is at fault.

I could be that your wife's fork is overdamped for some reason (perhaps valved incorrectly at the factory), or maybe it's not really a red spring?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the help guys, I'll switch the springs to see if they are actually causing the problem, then change the oil-- it needs to be done anyway I imagine...