mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Lefty MAX on Rush

I always found the standard Rush geometry a little nose down for my liking. I loved the way the bike went up hill, but found it a bit nervous downhill.
    I also never got on too well with the damping in the DLR2 lefty - even playing with the oil weights and shim stacks, I couldn't get the bump performance I wanted without excessive bob.

I noticed that quite a few of the 2008 Rush models in Europe have 'standard' 120mm forks, which have an axel to crown hight of around 500mm (compared to the DLR2's 480mm).

So, I replaced the DLR2 with a MAX SPV (I have some Manitou Minutes with SPV and like it). I reduced the travel down to 130mm with a 10mm spacer, giving a 500mm axel to crown height (the 130mm travel also matches better the 120mm I have out back since changing for a 190x50mm RP3).

Well, as you might guess, the bike is not quite so good on steep uphill - the front end wanders a bit more and traction is not so good and you need to keep your weight a litttle further forward to keep the front down.
    But, wow! The bike is so much better downhill: much more stable, better weight distribution, easier to manual. And, the fork damper works properly, absorbing big rocks without wallowing around. Sweet!

mnt bike laws of physics
    I bet it is Sweet! It probably rides something like a Prophet in between the XC and FR mode, but with slighlty less travel and a little lower to the groung for better cornering.

I hope you enjoy it.....

Post a pic if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That fork will void the lifetime warranty, but if you don't care I'm ok with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    That fork will void the lifetime warranty, but if you don't care I'm ok with it.
    I'm sure all of us Uber V riders have voided ours too, but none of us seem to care.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well, if the frame can take a 200lb rider with the normal fork, then I'm sure it can take a 150lb rider with a 200mm longer fork.

mad aussie
    It should work fine, I see that Cannondale allows maximum of 500mm axle to crown on the Rush so why not!
    Glad you like it, I considered putting a 650B just onto the front of the Rush to make a similar change just for technical rides and downhill, I managed to get my Lefty work perfectly for me, but it takes some playing around and it sounds like you prefer a lower spring rate with more low speed compression which is hard to get on the DLR.

Kevin