mtbr member

New question here. Lefty Max or Rock Shox

Hello, I'm hoping to get some advise on which fork I should keep. I have a 2006 Cannondale Prophet 600 with a Lefty Max Fluid-Flow, 140 mm. The problem is that the bike is a large and being my 1st full suspension bike, I trusted the bike shop to set me up with the right fit. It soon became clear that I should've gone with my gut and had the bike shop order me an XL. They were a nightmare and would not exchange the bike, so my Prophet has had little use over the last 2 years. It's just not comfortable for a larger rider like me.

I'm ready to get back into biking and just picked up a nice used 2008 Prophet 4 in an XL frame. I plan on selling the 2006. The 2008 came with RockShox Tora 302 Solo Air 130mm forks. I have been reading as many reviews and threads as I can to decide if I should keep the RockShox and upgrade later or if I should switch out forks and put the Lefty Max on the 2008. Any help and opinions would be appreciated.

I'm also not sure if it would be worth it to change out other components between the two bikes, but if anyone wants to take the time to look and give suggestions, here are the links for the specs on the two bikes.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/08/cusa/model-8VE4.html
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/CUSA/model-6VE6.html

Iím also posting this in the suspension forum.
    Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Definitely keep the lefty! The Tora is probably a nice fork, but the lefty will most likely be lighter. The lefty will be stiffer and buttery smooth.

mtbr member
    If you live to service forks and enjoy slipping on your garage floor from oil leakage, keep the Tora. Like riding your bike, keep the Lefty.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Keep the Lefty and do the TPC upgrade for $115. You will be amazed at the difference in the TPC vs the FFD on the smaller bumps.

I would consider putting the BB7 and the X7 triggers on the the new rig. I was rather pleased with my BB7 before I went hydro (formula K18). With your size implied size (guessing from frame size change, I would use a 185 front rotor.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 01-07-2009 at 08:56 AM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I'd probably swap the rear shock as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice. I got the new bike today and what a difference it makes having a frame that fits me! The XL feels much, much better than the large! It looks like I'll be keeping the Lefty. I talked to my local, or should I say closest bike shop and inquired about the TPC upgrade. The owner called cannondale to verify it could be done since my shock is a 2005. He called back and told me that it can be done, however Cannondale also told him that for $165 they will rebuild my Lefty Fluid Flow 140 and upgrade it to the new Solo Air set up. I think that sells me on keeping the Lefty. My other option was to keep the Tora and upgrade later to a better fork, but I don't think I can beat the price of the $165 Lefty, compared to spending my childrenís college money on a high dollar Fork down the road. I am going to change out the rear shock as well. I don't like the feel of the Manitou Radium RL compared to the Fox Float R. I plan on upgrading to an RP23 later anyway. Other Items I'll probably take off the old bike are the Mavic rims, Avid BB7 brakes, FSA 25mm handlebars. I'm not sure if there is much difference between the SRAM X-5 and X-7. They look the same to me. I may just leave those alone. My 2006 Prophet 600 never seamed to shift well anyway. The 2008 Prophet 4 was smooth right out of the box. Maybe I'll just leave the X-5's on it. I will post back on the solo air upgrade if I do it.

mtbr member
    grats on getting the correct bike to fit your body size. i have a prophet 5 and i ended up changing to the TPC kit from MENDON CYCLE. he post in this web site a lot and he DOES way better work than Cannondale does. either do a web serch for Mendon cycle or just post on the main page. he will do a great job and you wont have to wait for a month for cannondale to finish your lefty build. the second thing i did was to put mavic 819 on front and back. i kept the left hub but got a hope pro 2. my prophet feels way stronger in the turns and i have yet to pop spokes. i would save up for the rp23....that is my next big purchase. i have a PUSHed fox float r and would advice keeping your current shock. the BB7 i beleive and more adjustement than the BB5 so might be better to get the BB7 if you do your own tune ups..? i also got the clean sweep 2 rotors 185 front and 160 rear..you will love those.. let me know how things turn out.

karl

mtbr member
    +2 for Mendon Cycle Smith.

He does stellar work at a bargain. Plus, I would recommend keeping the coil and going for the TPC upgrade. This allows you to do a lot of the service yourself. I'm sure if that is the case with the solo air.

Coil + TPC = buttery smooth ;-)

mtbr member
    I took the bike in today and was wrong about the Solo Air info. They can't upgrade a Lefty fluid 140 to the Solo Air. It was the SPV they were talking about and it may not be possible to get the SPV upgrade from Cannondale anymore, so it may be the TPC after all. Anyone have any opinions about the TPC vs. SPV?

mtbr member
    I have not tried SPV myself, but most people on this forum say the TPC is more plush and has better small bump compliance.

I have to say my max140 TPC is the best fork I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    SPV has some platform to resist suspension bob so it is stiffer, TPC is what most people wants on this forum as it has better small bump compliance as others said.

I never tried SPV tough

mtbr member
    Not to hijack but is the TPC available as an upgrade for the DLR2s? or just Maxs?

mtbr member
    Hey,
    I'm not sure on the DLR2. I do know that Cannondale said they do not have anymore upgrade kits for SPV and they were gong to do mine from replacement parts. I called my bike shop and told them not to do the SPV upgrade. I decided to go with the TPC and the heavier spring. Too many people say that the SPV gives up the small bumps and I have too many small bumps where I ride! Saving a little money on the upgrade also allowed me to upgrade my bottom bracket and crank. I could never seem to get my front derailleur dialed in and the bike shop thinks it's because I was getting flex in the crank. That would make sense because I could get it adjusted great on the rack and then as soon as I rode the bike it would start to rub as I peddled. Anyway, I think I made a good choice to go TPC for the kind of riding I do. Thanks for all the input everyone.

mtbr member
    Your welcome. You won't be disappointed

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000
    Not to hijack but is the TPC available as an upgrade for the DLR2s? or just Maxs?
    No, it was just for the 140mm Lefty Max