Mr. Knowitall

New question here. Lefty Max RLC vs. PBR

I have decided to pull the trigger on a Lefty Max for my Yeti 575, but my LBS cannot the RLC it in "time" for me. Then I started to explore the alternative: PBR (or maybe even PBR Carbon). I really liked the idea that I can service the RLC like my present Fox, and that I will have the Fox internals, but then I started thinking:
    - How is the user servicability of the PBR?
    - I do not really need Low speed Compression adjustment, do I?
    - I do not really use lockout, so adjustment of blowoff shouldn't be necessary.
    - I have never used a coil spring fork - only air. Is the spring rate of the PBR ok?

I really appreciate some experiences or other viewpoints.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The RLC is a bit heavier.

However, I have found the coil shocks to be a little better at small bump compliance. I will say that I have not been on a 2010 PBR lefty with the tweaked air spring that is supposed to be better at small bumps (so I have read).

If you are good with working on the RLC's, then you have a leg up here. My local rebuilder sends the RLC to cdale, but works on all other leftys.

I personally like the lockout with the blow off that the RLC has and now the 2010 PBRs.

The RLC has so many tweaks, it could be a great thing or a pain in the butt. I like being able to tweak really.

I think you will be happy with either choice really.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member

2010 Pbr 140

I ordered a new lefty PBR 140 from my LBS and i should be getting her in mid july. I will let you know how she handles. from what the LBS said it might take about a month to fill your order..not sure what relations your LBS shop has so mabey not. the carbon fork only saves like .2 lb vrs the standard PBR.

karl

Mr. Knowitall
    I am in Norway, so they order from the European hub in Netherlands. My LBS is one of the premier Cannondale shops in Norway, and they usually get stuff within a week from Cannondale Europe.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmichael
    I ordered a new lefty PBR 140 from my LBS and i should be getting her in mid july. I will let you know how she handles. from what the LBS said it might take about a month to fill your order..not sure what relations your LBS shop has so mabey not. the carbon fork only saves like .2 lb vrs the standard PBR.

karl
    yeah, not a huge weight savings, but carbon upper does seem to have a better "feel" than the Al one. I am comparing 130 lefty max, not the new ones. I have only been able to get on the 130s in the same day.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    when you say a better feel how so? im on a prophet and i try to pick a line but as a back up i just point her and let her rip. Can you feel a loss of traction easier?

karl

mtbr member
    So hssp, did get your lefty already? we have ordered leftys almost two weeks ago, and now LBS(Finland)says that all 2010 leftyes are no longer availeble . When 2011 models comes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just ordered one the Cannondale Rep stated it would be here in 2 weeks.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by xluossa
    So hssp, did get your lefty already? we have ordered leftys almost two weeks ago, and now LBS(Finland)says that all 2010 leftyes are no longer availeble . When 2011 models comes?
    Nope. Lazy LBS called C'dale and they said end July to mid August. Then I was contemplating PBR or PBR Carbon. Finally on Monday I told them to order an RLC for me. I have no confirmed date yet, but I REALLY hope they will have it by then. Otherwise I will be disappointed. This is my dream fork!

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hssp
    Nope. Lazy LBS called C'dale and they said end July to mid August. Then I was contemplating PBR or PBR Carbon. Finally on Monday I told them to order an RLC for me. I have no confirmed date yet, but I REALLY hope they will have it by then. Otherwise I will be disappointed. This is my dream fork!
    hope you get your dream fork. We are waiting information from our LBS, dont care if it is 2010 or 2011 year model, just dont wanna wait too long. Have you already wheelset for lefty? I just order from merlincycles mavic slr dics set, unvaliveble cheap.

Mr. Knowitall
    I am having one of the Norwegian wheel wizes build me a front wheel using Crest, Project 321 hub and DT SuperComp/Revo (still to confirm spokes). Light weight and yet durable is my aim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp
    I am having one of the Norwegian wheel wizes build me a front wheel using Crest, Project 321 hub and DT SuperComp/Revo (still to confirm spokes). Light weight and yet durable is my aim.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    FYI

FYI for 2010 Cannondale did not offer the Lefty RLC for aftermarket sale (tried to purchase one here in the US) and has discontinued the RLC all together for 2011.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by adkbiker1
    FYI

FYI for 2010 Cannondale did not offer the Lefty RLC for aftermarket sale (tried to purchase one here in the US) and has discontinued the RLC all together for 2011.
    Sorry, but this is not true. It is in the price lists for Europe, and several European shops have one or two in stock

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i am in Canada and was told no aftermarket RLC as well, so I got a 2010 140 PBR.

in comparison to my '05 140 max TPC i find the 140 PBR to be better in almost every way, small bumps simply disappear, i was concerned that 2-3+ foot drops would be a problem but the PBR feels very nice, not at all different than the 140 max.

the PBR is a pound lighter than the 140 max and it's absolutely no work to lift the front end.

i ran the sag at 25mm not the suggested 35 (?) it seemed way too mushy at 35.

I rode both back to back on my prophet with an 09 RP23 shock.

lockout is nice and seems to work well, forgot i had it on and "tested" the blow-off...it works.

very happy with this fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Definitely not available in US. for both '10 &'11. You guys in Europe always get the good C-Dale stuff (better bike colors, specd bikes & clothing).

Hope you get the RLC have one on my '08 Carbon Rush & love it.

Mr. Knowitall
    Time will show what I can get and when. Waiting time after you have decided to pull the trigger is just exhausting! Hope the RLC is available, or else it MUST be a Carbon PBR - for the heck of it.

mtbr member
    HSSP
    I went Alloy PBR ... i don't know but i just cant get my head around a carbon fork and was told the alloy one is slightly stiffer.....
    anyways... i am glad i did go PBR cause i hear there are some awesome upgrade that are in the pipeline for it... and you will be able to fit the new 2011 damper upgrades to the 2010 forks....

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...-wpbr-10-39446

Mr. Knowitall
    Thanks for the heads up, DH-WP. One of the reasons why I want the RLC is that I can service it myself and it has a coil spring. Self service is crucial in my opinion, so this was the what tipped me over in that direction.

Tool
    You'll love the RLC. I had a 100mm RLC on my '08 Scalpel and it was buttery smooth. The low speed compression damping is useful - I could feel a difference if I had it one click in off in either direction.

Note that different springs are available for the RLC. The spring that shipped with them was usually based on the frame size - hopefully your dealer hadd a discussion with you regarding spring rates so you get the appropriate one with your new fork. My Scalpel was a size L, and whatever spring shipped with my RLC was perfect for my size/weight (5'10", 175lbs.).

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.