mtbr member

Lefty Max Oil Change

I got hold of a 2005 prophet 800 of ebay a few weeks ago and am so far loving the ride. I have been slowly fixing it up, drive train now sorted, new spring in lefty, and now want to do the oil change in my lefty max but don't know what oil to use. I'm around 200lbs and ride mostly xc and trail centers.
    Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bloated Badger; 06-29-2007 at 01:05 AM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    The stock oil is Golden Spectro 85/125. Any good shock oil is fine, and should be about 5 wt. The GS oil is available through Quality Bicycle Products, so if your LBS deals with them, it should be really easy to get some, if you care about staying OEM.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Many thanks for the advice. I'll get some orderd up. Expect some more questions soon, after the oil change it will be time to change the headset bearings and bearings in the lefty hub. Ebay bargins are not allways such bargins after all..

mtbr member
    I bought a used Prophet as well - 1yr ago. I think it is a good idea to rip the Lefty apart, change the seal kit, change the piston rings, change the foam in the compression, clean the valves and the reb pushrod, and change the oil. All this is easy and cheap.
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloated Badger
    Many thanks for the advice. I'll get some orderd up. Expect some more questions soon, after the oil change it will be time to change the headset bearings and bearings in the lefty hub. Ebay bargins are not allways such bargins after all..
    I've never had to change my Lefty headset bearings.. I can't imagine them actually wearing out.

mtbr member
    Well I have at last got round to doing the oil change but have hit a problem. I followed the owners manual and read the Swapping out FFD to TPC in Lefty MAX 140 thread for info but now when I try to compress the fork I get less than an inch travel before it becomes rock hard.I have change the oil twice now with the same result. Any advice would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Well I have at last got round to doing the oil change but have hit a problem. I followed the owners manual and read the Swapping out FFD to TPC in Lefty MAX 140 thread for info but now when I try to compress the fork I get less than an inch travel before it becomes rock hard.I have change the oil twice now with the same result. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Do you mean when the fork is fully assembled? I found that when I was cycling the fork to get the air bubbles out, it was very difficult to move (mainly because there is no bike weight / spring tension).

I would guess that the damper is not allowing oil to pass through, but some of the lefty experts can probably provide better info.

banned
    In the near future, I will be posting a tutorial.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

So, this is going to sound really wierd, but the problem is, the foam compression compensator is saturated. It's the foam sheet wrapped around the compression damper. You'll need a new one. You can be confused by this, all you want, list all the excuses you can think of, it just is, what it is. New ones run a few bucks, and if you're creative, you can come up with a solution using other types of foam, someone, I think Jerk Chicken maybe?? came up with a short term fix, till the right one came in. Best of luck!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com