mtbr member
    May 2007

With the lefty max disconntinued, should I get the TPC upgrade now?

I was thinking of doing this some time around Nov or
    Dec of this year.

With parts becoming harder to find, should I get this part now?

I can hold it until I get the fork serviced.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    With parts becoming harder to find, should I get this part now?

Yep, no reason to put it off
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Cdale has 3 years stock of parts to support repairs of Lefty Max's. Part's aren't necessarily harder to find, you just need to go through the right channels.

-R

Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    Cdale has 3 years stock of parts to support repairs of Lefty Max's. Part's aren't necessarily harder to find, you just need to go through the right channels.

-R

So, do you work there? As I understand it, parts are no longer shippable. The only way to get them, is to send the fork in to FTR, and have them install it. Since they are a wholly separate entity, they have no way to collect $ or invoice. Silly way to get a screw in part if you ask me, hope I can figure something out, I have my inside rep working on it.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    So, do you work there? As I understand it, parts are no longer shippable. The only way to get them, is to send the fork in to FTR, and have them install it. Since they are a wholly separate entity, they have no way to collect $ or invoice. Silly way to get a screw in part if you ask me, hope I can figure something out, I have my inside rep working on it.....
    Who is FTR?

I was thinking of getting the fork serviced and the TPC installed. It's sounding like that may be difficult to do. I'm going to contact my LBS and see what they can get.

Who is FTR?

I was thinking of getting the fork serviced and the TPC installed. It's sounding like that may be difficult to do. I'm going to contact my LBS and see what they can get.
    FTR is Factory Tech Room. It's the name of the repair service room, at Cannondale. It's a stand alone company, within a company, for what reason, I cannot explain, but it makes it difficult for me, as a dealer and service center, to obtian parts. This happens when parts of a certain type become "obsolete". Problem is, a few years down the line, they then throw the parts out, rather than sell them, or maintain them as stock. I understand the need to not save 12 year old parts (though I would, but that's another story....) Your dealer should be able to get most common service parts, and TPC's are still available in general stock, though not for long. This assumes they do the work as well. If not, Cannondale can do it, as can a number of independent service centers around the world. But to "ration" parts for forks they sold 2 months ago, is a tad lame, in my rather biased opinion

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    "I understand the need to not save 12 year old parts"

Tell that to the headshock on my '93 Delta V!!!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

Like catnip for people
    FTR is Factory Tech Room. It's the name of the repair service room, at Cannondale. It's a stand alone company, within a company, for what reason, I cannot explain, but it makes it difficult for me, as a dealer and service center, to obtian parts. This happens when parts of a certain type become "obsolete". Problem is, a few years down the line, they then throw the parts out, rather than sell them, or maintain them as stock. I understand the need to not save 12 year old parts (though I would, but that's another story....) Your dealer should be able to get most common service parts, and TPC's are still available in general stock, though not for long. This assumes they do the work as well. If not, Cannondale can do it, as can a number of independent service centers around the world. But to "ration" parts for forks they sold 2 months ago, is a tad lame, in my rather biased opinion
    Which lead to me wondering if I should offload my Lefty!

Are there any recommendations for a replacement fork? Will I need a cane creek adaptor or something?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    "I understand the need to not save 12 year old parts"

Can you still get a 93 delta v head shock fixed there? I had one up until recently. It still works fine, and the guy only does casual riding with it.

mtbr member
    Can you still get a 93 delta v head shock fixed there?
    No, not around here... but I got lucky. The main problem I had was it that it would stick. So I just lifted the boot, cleaned it out real good under there and regreased it. Not quite "good as new", but pretty close!
    Only option seemed to be completely new guts or fork trade from Cannondale. Both pretty expensive (never got specific price since the cleaning/regreasing was good enough). Replacement cartridge/parts not available from Cannondale. They don't make the original cartridge any more, but I heard tale that there was a newer part that would fit. Let me know if you want more info - Heather at cannondale sent me some PDF's etc with some info that I could forward on to you if you want it. Incidentally, she referred to that shock as "Jurassic" - lol
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

El Pollo Diablo
    anyone know of any places online to get TPC carts?
    I'm not interested in doing anything resembling supporting my local C'dale dealer, but would love to upgrade my FFD max, but haven't ever seen a TPC (or SPV for that matter) cart being sold anywhere.

Which is why I hoard old parts......

ziscwg, PM me if you need info, I may have options for you

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    how much $ for a TPC?

thx
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web

A TPC Max would run you about $850, MSRP.

As for other sources of parts, many folks here, can help with that, you just have to know who to ask

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    A TPC Max would run you about $850, MSRP.

As for other sources of parts, many folks here, can help with that, you just have to know who to ask
    No thats not what I meant sorry...

only the TPC damper unit for the SPV/TPC swap

thx
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web

Quote Originally Posted by Dotkom
    No thats not what I meant sorry...

only the TPC damper unit for the SPV/TPC swap

thx
    Ah, TPC damper and knob is $115, however, if you're going from SPV, to TPC, you need the TPC/FFD rebound damper too, which is $190, ouch.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

El Pollo Diablo
    TPC Damper and knob is 115, from C'dale?
    That's the first Lefty related price that I've seen that is actually somewhat reasonable...
    here goes again, anyone have a C'dale dealer who will ship that they can recommend?

mtbr member
    "anyone have a C'dale dealer who will ship that they can recommend"

Try calling,emailing, or PM'ing our very own Craig at Mendoncyclesmith.com
    He's too modest to offer publicly, or isn't suppose to self promote here as a matter of policy - I forget which. Probably a little of both.
    (but I hope it's not against the rules for me to give him a thumbs up!?)
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Leave it to Cannondale. Take the best trail fork ever invented and discontinue it.

I had an alum TPC Max 140 with a ti spring on my prophet. It was amazing. The new SL on my Rush is very nice&light, but it's not nearly as plush&tough as the max was. Very sad to see the max go away.

Cannondale could be so much better if they would just surf this forum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    OK. I am going to abandon my "lurking" status and make a post.....An answer to this question may be helpful to others besides myself....
    MendonCycleSmith, can the FFD and TPC damping units be rebuilt, and what parts are needed if they can be? Can these parts be bought from readily available sources other than C'dale?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.niles
    MendonCycleSmith, can the FFD and TPC damping units be rebuilt, and what parts are needed if they can be? Can these parts be bought from readily available sources other than C'dale?
    Rebuilt? Well, the FFD is a piece of plastic with a few O rings. The TPC is a bit more complex, but most often needs nothing beyond a few O rings, and a foam compensator. These parts are generally available through a dealer, and definately at Cannondale, so if a dealer doesn't have them, and won't get them, they are truely lame. Hope that helps

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

He's too modest to offer publicly, or isn't suppose to self promote here as a matter of policy - I forget which. Probably a little of both.
    Yep, that's it. I figure most who stick around for a bit, will figure it out. Happy to help, but don't want to abuse the system.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

... and if we just ... Can these parts be obtained elsewhere?

Rebuilt? Well, the FFD is a piece of plastic with a few O rings. The TPC is a bit more complex, but most often needs nothing beyond a few O rings, and a foam compensator. These parts are generally available through a dealer, and definately at Cannondale, so if a dealer doesn't have them, and won't get them, they are truely lame. Hope that helps
    Yes, that does help.
    A few more questions....
    If C'dale decides to stop selling these o-rings and compensators, are the o-rings common sizes that can be purchased from and industrial hardware outlet? And the compensator from a foam/plastics dealer? Or are these o-rings made of a special material different than regular rubber o-rings?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.niles
    Yes, that does help.
    A few more questions....
    If C'dale decides to stop selling these o-rings and compensators, are the o-rings common sizes that can be purchased from and industrial hardware outlet? And the compensator from a foam/plastics dealer? Or are these o-rings made of a special material different than regular rubber o-rings?
    More than likely, but they will be around for a long time to come. It's the Manitou made damper units, that will get scarce, fast.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    More than likely, but they will be around for a long time to come.....