mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Smile Lefty Max 29er now shipping

130mm Cannondale Lefty Super Max 29er “Fork” Weighed, Now Shipping - Bike Rumor

The big question is what do I do to convert it to a 160mm for my 26er?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looks good, can it be installed on non 1.5 frames and is the hub the same as other leftys?

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Yeah, inquiring minds want to know. I've got a 44mm headtube and would like to know if this new Super Max Lefty could be adapted to it. Maybe with external headcups? And it would be nice to just order up a Stan's front wheel since they have the Lefty front hub available, but I'm guessing it won't fit the new SuperMax since I read that it takes a wider hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The Supermax will work with a regular Lefty hub. But it's not going to give you the same stiffness as the new max hub since the flanges are at least a cm wider.

For right now the internals of the fork are stuck at 130mm of travel. The dampers are designed that way so it's not as simple as removing 3 "C" clips to give you another 30mm of travel. These forks don't have any clips to remove.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    wow....nice. this fork with a 2soulcycles quarterhorse or slimjim would be my perfect play bike.

get the fork, send it to jake at p321 and i am sure he can have everything ironed out without a prob, that guy can machine anything!

clamps look easy enough to adapt too. pretty happy the $ is the same as the 2013 lefty xlr forks, i thought it was going to be more! wonder if the hub come with the fork?

also, wonder if the x-loc will work?
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The SuperMax does not have the typical clamp spacing as the standard Lefty forks. It's being offered in multiple sizes (4, I believe). So be careful if you're buying one for your Cannondale or any other bike. The SuperMax may NOT fit on any other Cannondale frame so BEWARE if you are expecting to be able to take one from the stock Trigger and put it on another bike.

For example, the Medium Trigger 29er SuperMax will NOT fit on any other Cannondale frame. The medium Trigger 29er has an 11cm head tube and the SuperMax fits the head tube without any stack spacing. So there will not be enough space for it to fit another medium (or S,L,XL for that matter).

Cannondale Head tube length sizes:

S,M,L frame = 13.4cm (Scalpel 29er: 12.2cm+1.2cm spacer = 13.4cm)
    XL frame = 16.0cm
    Trigger 29er: S = 9.7cm, M = 11.0cm, L = 12.2cm, XL = 13.4cm

The regular Leftys are produced with only two different clamp spacings (standard to fit S-M-L frames that have 13.4cm head tube and oversize to fit XL frames that have 16cm head tube).

It appears as if the one that fits the XL will be the one to buy for regular Cannondale frames.

This is confusing, but is good news for those folks who want to buy a SuperMax for a non Cannondale frame and don't wanna have to use a lot of spacers adapting it to a frame with short head tube.
    Last edited by trauma-md; 12-29-2012 at 01:15 AM.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    The SuperMax does not have the typical clamp spacing as the standard Lefty forks. It's being offered in multiple sizes (4, I believe). So be careful if you're buying one for your Cannondale or any other bike. The SuperMax may NOT fit on any other Cannondale frame so BEWARE if you are expecting to be able to take one from the stock Trigger and put it on another bike.

For example, the Medium Trigger 29er SuperMax will NOT fit on any other Cannondale frame. The medium Trigger 29er has an 11cm head tube and the SuperMax fits the head tube without any stack spacing. So there will not be enough space for it to fit another medium (or S,L,XL for that matter).

Cannondale Head tube length sizes:

S,M,L frame = 13.4cm (Scalpel 29er: 12.2cm+1.2cm spacer = 13.4cm)
    XL frame = 16.0cm
    Trigger 29er: S = 9.7cm, M = 11.0cm, L = 12.2cm, XL = 13.4cm

The regular Leftys are produced with only two different clamp spacings (standard to fit S-M-L frames that have 13.4cm head tube and oversize to fit XL frames that have 16cm head tube).

It appears as if the one that fits the XL will be the one to buy for regular Cannondale frames.

This is confusing, but is good news for those folks who want to buy a SuperMax for a non Cannondale frame and don't wanna have to use a lot of spacers adapting it to a frame with short head tube.
    When I saw the Trigger 29er had different head tube lengths, I was assuming there was a way of changing the spacing between the clamps on the Lefty Max 29. It doesn't make sense for C-dale to make 4 different Leftys - one for each size.

Are you sure Trauma-md that this is not so?

Has anyone had one of these in their hands yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Trauma is correct.
    If you buy a small Trigger and try to put the Lefty on an extra large or vice versa it will not work.
    The clamps are bonded into place for each fork to coincide with each frame size. So in order to change clamp spacing you would have to buy a different fork or essentially rebuild one from the ground up with a new outer/upper tube.
    To add to the confusion the dampers are also size specific. The threads on the cartridges are adjusted to work with the particular size frame you have.