Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    New question here. lefty Max 140 removal...need rebuild

    with all this talk about the Lefty Max...
    Can someone give me the steps of removal from the Prophet? I need to send it in for a rebuild.

    Is it just 3 allen bolts?
    How do you get the crowns to separate from the head tube?

    sorry for the stupid question...but I only know how to remove traditional 1 1/8 forks and headsets.

  2. #2
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,407
    Carbon? Alloy?

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    lefty removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Carbon? Alloy?
    It's the base model alloy max 140 (rebound only...no spv, no tpc).
    thanks.

  4. #4
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,407
    1. Take off the brake caliper.
    2. Take off the Lefty top cap.
    3. Loosen the three clamp bolts close to the Lefty's leg.
    4. Slide down the Lefty from the clamps, leaving the clamps on the bike.
    5. Put the top cap back on before sending it away.

    You could also keep the Manual somewhere for future use... Right click and save on your computer somewhere.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    New question here. lefty removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    1. Take off the brake caliper.
    2. Take off the Lefty top cap.
    3. Loosen the three clamp bolts close to the Lefty's leg.
    4. Slide down the Lefty from the clamps, leaving the clamps on the bike.
    5. Put the top cap back on before sending it away.

    You could also keep the Manual somewhere for future use... Right click and save on your computer somewhere.

    thank you sir...
    This will save me a few bucks by doing it myself.
    Do you know if C-dale would accept it directly from me?
    or do they insist I go through a LBS?

    I'm in CT so it would be sweet if I could bypass the LBS....

  6. #6
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,407
    They usually prefer through a dealer, not sure if directly is even possible... Ask them, say that you are closer to them than to the nearest dealer.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeriderB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,560

    Bonking ... not feelin' well lefty max 140 removal + search for play

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    They usually prefer through a dealer, not sure if directly is even possible... Ask them, say that you are closer to them than to the nearest dealer.
    I called C-dale...I need to go through a dealer.

    Also, I was easily able to remove my lefty in 5 minutes.
    I cleaned it up and began searching for any signs of possible play.
    When I slid the boot down, I noticed the section where the Lefty "screws" together (just like some post stated).
    This was indeed loose, so I hand tightened it, and put the fork back on.

    I was pretty sure that this was the cause of the play in my front end.
    Unfortunately...the play is still there.

    So...is it possible that a damaged rebound cartridge (or some other internal component) will actually cause play????

    If it is not the fork, and not the crowns/headtube bearings....what else could it be!!??
    oh yeah...I believe the hub is fine too.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,957
    You could call this guy to work on your lefty (if its out of warranty)
    http://www.mendoncyclesmith.com/

    I read here he does good work on leftys. Since your east coast anyway, the shipping will probably be about the same.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dotkom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    116
    No way sending in a Lefty Max. This fork is so simple you can do everything at home - although if you want to work on the bearings&races its getting difficult.
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,480
    In the future I'll be putting up a DIY on the Lefty rebuild, using some of my own pics and some of the excellent writeups here.

    This will be sometime in the coming months.

  11. #11
    siv
    siv is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: siv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    You could call this guy to work on your lefty (if its out of warranty)
    http://www.mendoncyclesmith.com/

    I read here he does good work on leftys. Since your east coast anyway, the shipping will probably be about the same.
    Absolutely send it to Craig. Dont waste time and money sending it to Cannondale. Ive dealt with him twice not including all the free advice over the phone, he pretty much rules.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •