mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Lefty MAX 140 Parts Wanted

My lower key and key way groove are beveled due to what I suspect is a loose build when I bought my Prophet (It's a 2006 w/20hrs on it).

I will be chasing my LBS for this but I can guess that it's not going to be a quick turnaround (if any) and I can't miss any riding this season. So... I wanted to see if any of you have trashed 140's laying around that I could cannibalize. All I need is the upper and clamp assy with MINT key and key ways.

LA CHÈVRE
    I 'might' be able to help you out... A friend of mine had a Prophet 1000 hit by a car, let me check if he still has his spare parts and if they are usable.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    I 'might' be able to help you out... A friend of mine had a Prophet 1000 hit by a car, let me check if he still has his spare parts and if they are usable.
    Thanks man, that would be great.

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, sorry but the guy sold everything that could be sold already. That didn't include the Lefty, but it's damaged beyond repair. He had two bikes (a Jeckyll and his brand new Prophet, he was on his way to try it for the first time) on a trunk mounted rack and a lunatic lady hit them hard right on the bikes, she was talking on the phone AND changing the music on her radio. The bad part of his story: he got a new bike later and recently got that one stolen (along with the Prophet 800 that replaced the Jeckyll)... He is now on his 3rd Prophet 1000, this time a 2006.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Well, sorry but the guy sold everything that could be sold already. That didn't include the Lefty, but it's damaged beyond repair. He had two bikes (a Jeckyll and his brand new Prophet, he was on his way to try it for the first time) on a trunk mounted rack and a lunatic lady hit them hard right on the bikes, she was talking on the phone AND changing the music on her radio. The bad part of his story: he got a new bike later and recently got that one stolen (along with the Prophet 800 that replaced the Jeckyll)... He is now on his 3rd Prophet 1000, this time a 2006.
    DAMN, I'm going to stop feeling sorry for myself. That's the worst bike story I've heard all year!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by edge
    My lower key and key way groove are beveled due to what I suspect is a loose build when I bought my Prophet (It's a 2006 w/20hrs on it).

I will be chasing my LBS for this but I can guess that it's not going to be a quick turnaround (if any) and I can't miss any riding this season. So... I wanted to see if any of you have trashed 140's laying around that I could cannibalize. All I need is the upper and clamp assy with MINT key and key ways.

That seriously sucks dude!
    Cannondale has been taking some serious hits in the quality department lately huh?
    The Prophet creaking swingarm joint thing ruined my entire 2005 riding season.
    Before that it was Scalpel swingarm issues.

Tired of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Elzippo
    That seriously sucks dude!
    Cannondale has been taking some serious hits in the quality department lately huh?
    The Prophet creaking swingarm joint thing ruined my entire 2005 riding season.
    Before that it was Scalpel swingarm issues.

Tired of it.
    When you pump out 300,000 frames a year your going to have some defects. My problem has nothing to do with the MFG (I think).. It's up to the LBS to torque the bike to spec before handing it over to the customer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by edge
    It's up to the LBS to torque the bike to spec before handing it over to the customer.
    Ah yeah right -like that's going to happen.
    Most of the LBS mechanics are "cocky just out of high school know it alls" who don't even care what a torque wrench is let alone use one even if they had it in the first place.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Elzippo
    Most of the LBS mechanics are "cocky just out of high school know it alls" who don't even care what a torque wrench is let alone use one even if they had it in the first place.
    For what it's worth, I have no torque wrenches, and have yet to run into an issue. Torque, in the bike industry seems to be a "me too" thing, none of the torques I've seen and tried have been correct, generally a bit too loose. Find somone who's spun bike tools for a few years, and work with them! Cocky High school grads are not a good first choice! The auto industry has them figured out, I don't trust them on my bike though, we as an industry are too worried, as in too many lawyers, not enough common sense. Peace

mtbr member
    Find another shop, man. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but the wrenches at my local shop are worth every their weight in gold.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Most of the LBS mechanics are "cocky just out of high school know it alls" who don't even care what a torque wrench is let alone use one even if they had it in the first place

hey dude chill out im a tech still in highschool and most definately care about a torque wrench and use one on a daily basis, alot of stores dont give proper training th these cocky out of higschool know it all so its the shops fault not the builders if ya get my drift, watch what you say man i bet you were once one of those people..

Members who have read this thread: 0