mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Lefty Max 140 ffd rebound knob Question

I have a 2007 Prophet 5 with a Lefty Max140 FFD , It has only one adjustment , a small red dial on top of the lefty , I want to know if that dial is supposed to have any "click" when it is being turned ? Because when I turn mine , it just spin smoothly and I don't feel it does much of anything at all to the damping of the fork??

Could anyone has the same fork comment on how that red dial supposed to feel when turn?

mtbr member
    I had the same kind of thing when I didnt tighten the top cap as much as I needed to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Loosen the top cap a little. If the knob still spins without soft clicks then the little detent ball/spring assembly must have been lost the last time it was removed.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Tighten it fully to stop, clockwise. One full rotation back is the full range of adjustment. If you don't have a nice slow rebound upon full tight, your aluminum push rod is frozen in the damper shaft. Fairly common, particularly when it's in a wet environment.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for all the tips , especially Medon , you are the man

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

attn: lefty mecanics!

I'd like to resurrect this thread not only for my sake, but for others who are still using the 07-06 Lefty Maxs 140mm and come across their rebounds not working. Mine stopped, and I have the lefty stripped down to having the spring and rebound push rod removed.

(see cannondale pdf. file on Lefty Max)

I can re-insert the rebound push rod and get resistance from the bottom spring (ie, it's not stuck, warped, or seized) All other parts are in intact (and complete)...Before I go ahead and put everything back together, do I need to adjust something else? (it's hard to know if the rebound is engaged w/out reinstalling everything)...(I have the SPV version)

Thanks.

(btw, lefty max is fairly easy to disassemble because you don't need any special tools! )
    Last edited by c-dale99; 07-21-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: title change

mtbr member
    I've been having trouble with mine (2005 Lefty Max SPV).
    When it was almost new, the rebound knob would turn endlessly and not do anything. I found that if I dialed it out all the way it would pop out of the threads under the top cap, and just spin loosely under the top cap.

Fixed that a few times and got used to NOT loosing it too far, but now I think something else is going on.
    The Lefty is due for a tune up/overhaul anyway, so I'm probably just gonna send it to Craig/Mendon one of these days.
    Last edited by jdr01930; 07-22-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    put it back together...still nothing...

pm'd craig and we'll see what it costs for a simple fix (maybe even upgrade to TPC)...

in the meantime, any other suggestions (down below the boot that I could try??)..thanks...