mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Lefty Max 140 - cluncking sound

Probably asked before but couldn't find any threads -
    My Lefty MAX 140 occasionaly makes an audible clunk under very small high speed compressions and extensions (when riding off a kerb) Is this something that is easy to fix or something I should be worried about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bauchle
    Probably asked before but couldn't find any threads -
    My Lefty MAX 140 occasionaly makes an audible clunk under very small high speed compressions and extensions (when riding off a kerb) Is this something that is easy to fix or something I should be worried about.
    Not sure about your setup but I have a Lefty Max on my 29er which required installing some extra spacers to limit the travel. The spacers slide up and down on the shaft which runs down the center of the spring. They make a clunking noise whe they are punched up by a hard hit or when I turn the bike over. No big deal.

You could open up the top cap and grease the snot out of the stock spacers. This will muffle or stop the clunking for a little while, thus you know that this is the cause.

Marty

mtbr member
    sounds to me like you just need to reset the bearings. have a search in the cannondale thread theres a how to guide. its a two min job.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Cheers for the replies -
    Marty_hd - Lefty is set up for 26" wheels, inside is greased to the max
    Disco_Stu - This isn't a bearing migration problem, the fork tops out when the bearings need reset, this clunk seems to happen during compression

mtbr member
    sorry it just sounded that way from what you said in your first post.

mtbr member
    Is it or is it not a migration issue - do you or do you not have migration.
    www.swotch.com - Tenerife Island Trail Web

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    In my experience, sounds like oil level, it will make clicks, and clunks, unrelated to migration. Probably needs a flush, and proper refill.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Dotkom - I thought i made it clear it wasn't migration
    MCS - Thanks for the info, is this oil fill easy to do a home or should I get a shop to do it?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bauchle
    is this oil fill easy to do a home or should I get a shop to do it?
    Pretty easy, if you are comfortable getting into your fork. Have you done bearing reset on it? If so, you're part way there. You need to remove the spring, and reassemble the rebound damper without it. Flip the fork over, remove the compression, and drain it, cycling the rebound to remove all the oil. If you don't want to change the oil, you can just add a bit more, but chances are, it's dirty.....When filling, cycle the rebound vigorously, to remove any bubbles stuck inside the circuit. Then fill most of the way, leaving room to install the compression. Insert it, and add a bit more oil, till it just over flows. Screw it in, with the bleed screw out, mopping as you go. Once tight, install bleed screw, and rock that thing. Need more info? Check the FAQ threads, there's one by Prodigalcyclist that covers swapping FFD to TPC, it's the same thing, mechanically speaking, with lots of pics
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    MCS - Many thanks. I may try a simple top up first to see if it solves the problem. Then do a full flush at a later time.