Thread: Lefty Max 130

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Lefty Max 130

Anybody got any experience of this fork. I know it came on the Gemini 1000 but only for one year 2003. Was the fork a dog or just a mismatch? Any input most welcome. Is it the same fork which came on the Jekyll?
    Last edited by Baker921; 10-09-2007 at 06:22 AM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker921
    Anybody got any experience of this fork. I know it came on the Gemini 1000 but only for one year 2003. Was the fork a dog or just a mismatch? Any input most welcome. Is it the same fork which came on the Jekyll?

It's a fine fork. It's the first generation Max, and as such, is not subject to the little perks of it's big brother, the 140. Most of these are really minor, like a different tool interface on the top cap, and quicker bearing reset procedure. It did offer the advantage of end user bearing reset, the previous forks required special tools, or a shop to do it. At the TPC build level, is actually an upgrade over the 140, as it has TPC+ which features a second damper piston, which adds position sensitive compression damping, the farther into the travel you get, the damping increases, particularly at high speed, cool, huh?? At that point in time, freeride forks were at about that travel range, so it "fit", but the market was looking for meatier lookinbg forks, so it was dropped in '04. Same exact fork on both Gemini, and Jekyll. Any other questions??
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Mendon many thanks for your comprehensive reply. Sounds like the Gemini 1000 will suit me just fine.

Cool deal, just remember, replace the boot as soon as it gets a hole, and get a decent servicing done once every year or two, depending on how often you ride, get informed on how to reset migrated bearings, and it will serve you well for years to come.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Retro Cannondale Addict
    I've got a Max 130 TPC on my Uber and will be sending it to Mendon shortly for service. Mendon, when I installed the fork, I didn't tighten the cap over the knob enough and I got on the bike for a ride around the driveway and the fork collapsed! I took a 40mm wrench and tightened it up as much as I could, but I burred the cap up quite a bit. Can you replace this part easily? Also, the blue vinyl surrounding the spring got torn pretty good so I just ripped it all off while I had the spring out. Is that a big deal? I'm around 150lbs so I think blue is the way to roll, but do you think it will need to be replaced?

BTW, I got the Lefty from a 2004 Jekyll 2000 frame I bought on Ebay, just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogul218
    I didn't tighten the cap over the knob enough and I got on the bike for a ride around the driveway and the fork collapsed! I took a 40mm wrench and tightened it up as much as I could, but I burred the cap up quite a bit. Can you replace this part easily? Also, the blue vinyl surrounding the spring got torn pretty good so I just ripped it all off while I had the spring out. Is that a big deal? I'm around 150lbs so I think blue is the way to roll, but do you think it will need to be replaced?
    Hey there, well, if I'm understanding you correctly, you had it most of the way tight, but not fully snugged, rolled it down the driveway, and the top cap blew off?? Not a scenario that's likely to exist without prior significant damage. If it's a bit loose, it will eventually work itself looser, then bang around, then blow off. Sounds like the threads are stripped, can you go into more detail? You can get it fixed if this is the case, but it'll need a new outer leg, and cap. As for the vinyl, no big deal. As long as the fork is quiet, it's all fine. If it's making rubbing noises, either rotate the spring 45, and or 90 degrees, or cut a piece of road inner tube, and slide it on. Rock on.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Retro Cannondale Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Hey there, well, if I'm understanding you correctly, you had it most of the way tight, but not fully snugged, rolled it down the driveway, and the top cap blew off?? Not a scenario that's likely to exist without prior significant damage. If it's a bit loose, it will eventually work itself looser, then bang around, then blow off. Sounds like the threads are stripped, can you go into more detail? You can get it fixed if this is the case, but it'll need a new outer leg, and cap. As for the vinyl, no big deal. As long as the fork is quiet, it's all fine. If it's making rubbing noises, either rotate the spring 45, and or 90 degrees, or cut a piece of road inner tube, and slide it on. Rock on.
    Craig,
    I had to take the cap off to install the fork and just didn't thread it down far enough before the initial test ride. I don't think anything got stripped although you can check it out for me when I send my Uber up to you. Since I've threaded it on as tightly as I could, I've taken it offroad and the fork performed fine. I think replacing the top cap is all that would be needed but you're the expert so I'll leave that up to you. Hope this clarifies things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogul218
    Craig,
    I had to take the cap off to install the fork and just didn't thread it down far enough before the initial test ride. I don't think anything got stripped although you can check it out for me when I send my Uber up to you. Since I've threaded it on as tightly as I could, I've taken it offroad and the fork performed fine. I think replacing the top cap is all that would be needed but you're the expert so I'll leave that up to you. Hope this clarifies things.
    Okay, phew, that does sound better Most likely you'll be fine as it is, there's a bunch of threads there, and if you mangled the top two or three, it will be fine as is. I'll wait till I see it to really pass judegement on that though

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com