IdontShootPeopleAnyMore

lefty mavic crosstrail or lefty spynergy xyclone disc

which one for my prophet... Im about 200lbs geared up and on a 1-10 I am a 5 for being an aggressive rider. (as far as abusing wheelsets go)

These "lefty mavic crosstrail or lefty spynergy xyclone disc" are both in my 500 dollar price range...

Who can help me decide?
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    I don't know anything about the spynergy, but we used Mavic Crosstrails on my son's F6 when we Leftified it - They are great wheels - If I ever upgrade my F3 that's what I'm getting.

But... I THINK it's more of an XC wheel. The F's I mention above are XC bikes so it's a great match. Depending on how you define aggressive, something a little more "all mountain" might be appropriate for a Prophet.

Have you checked out the Mavic 819's? I have those on my prophet, and the are still as true as they were on day 1 after a few years of moderate abuse. Great combo of light and strong.

General consensus here based on previous posts shows lots of love for 819's on the Prophet.

That said, if you're not doing lots of drops etc, the Crosstrails will probably be great. They look downright sexy too!
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

mtbr member
    I would steer clear of the Spynergy's. The spokes are extremely difficult to find if you were to ever break one.

I would go with JDR's advice. Have someone lace up a strong weelset on either Mavic 819's or the Stan's Flow. I think the Stan's flow is a great choice because they are an extremely beefy strong rim and are (like all other Stan's products) air up tubeless like a breeze. Dont worry, if you dont feel any desire to run tubeless, you can always throw a tube in.

mtbr member
    If tubeless is a priority go for the Crosstrails.
    If you're more concerned about weight go for the Spinergys, as i believe they a considerably lighter.

Ground Pounder
    I have both Spinergys (Xyclone Disc) and Mavics (Crossmax ST and old Crossmax SL). I'm about 200-220lb geared up and am moderately aggressive as well.

First, let me clear something up. Spinergy spokes are easy to find. Just call Spinergy and they'll have them in the mail to you ASAP. $5 for a single spoke is the price I paid. They sent two extras when I ordered two. There's only one spoke length for the entire wheel set too, so keeping extras is _much_ easier. I've never had to use a replacement spoke.

Spinergys
    What I like:
    -Light
    -Durable
    -Robust freehub (Hadley made)
    -Strong
    -32 Spoke Design

What I dislike:
    -17mm internal rim
    -Not true UST (but I did set them up with Tubeless Ready tires and Cafe Latex)
    -If using with tubeless tape (above) truing becomes problematic, but I've only trued them once

Mavics
    What I like (I have lighter models than what you're considering):
    -Weight (for a true UST system)
    -Durable
    -19mm internal rim width

What I dislike:
    -24 hole design (although they've held up, no problems)
    -Freehub design is inferior
    -Customer service is *rumored* to be terrible

Bottom Line
    Duncan had good advice regarding weight. I'll add a little to that.

If you're worried about longevity go Spinergy, the freehub design and 32 über strong spokes stand up to a lot of abuse. They're durable as all hell.

If you want to run true 2.35in+ tires (Nevegal sized) go Mavic. If you want to go true UST go Mavic as well, no muss no fuss.

You didn't ask, but I'd also look into sending a Lefty front hub to Universal Cycles as well. You can have them build you up a nice set of 819s with a Shimano XT 775 (if you're a loose ball fan) or Hope (if you like cart. bearings and have a bit more $) rear hub. You'll get an über durable wheel for less $ (Shimano rear) that has easy tubeless setup but weighs a bit more. I went this route for my SS and am happy with the cost, durability, easy tubeless setup and easy/cheap maintenance.
    My bicycle gets more dirt than your 4x4.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    thanks for the responses guys...

mrhappymedium- a quick question... the spinergy wheels are 6bolt right? also, what are the rims actually made of? I couldn't find it on their site...

thanks
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ground Pounder
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveByBikeShooting
    mrhappymedium- a quick question... the spinergy wheels are 6bolt right? also, what are the rims actually made of? I couldn't find it on their site...
    They're 6 bolt. I wish they were CL, but I think I'm the minority there.

Not sure what the rims are made of besides saying they're aluminum. Give them a call and ask. They aren't prone to denting, even with numerous pinch flats. Mavics aren't either though...

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I just ordered a set of the Spinergy Xyclone 29er wheels based on MTBR reviews. 5 perfect reviews is good enough for me

mtbr member

mavic 819 and the hope

i had a set of 819's and a hope pro2 rear build up for my prophet. you will find that this wheel set will last you forever. i have only had to have my rear hub rebuilt once due to a broken spring. i do 2-3ft drops and some jumps when my speed high. i have never in 2 years had to true this wheelset. i ride about 3 times a week for a few hours.

karl

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm really doubting between those wheels to. I think it's gonna be the Spinergy's... But that would be based purely on the looks Mrhappymedium, thanks for the advice! some good information about those wheels is nice...
    SO durability and weight, go for the spinergy's.?
    If You want Plush, Buy a Couch...
    If you want to go Fast, Buy a 29er

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Here's why I bought a set. Unless the reviews are by 7 total idiots, I think I should be alright=)

http://www.mtbr.com/mfr/spinergy/whe...01_157crx.aspx
    Last edited by DFYFZX; 01-02-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Ground Pounder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninko
    Mrhappymedium, thanks for the advice! some good information about those wheels is nice... SO durability and weight, go for the spinergy's.?
    I would say that's a good choice. Either that or look at a custom wheel set from Universal Cycles. Mavic 717s with Super comps laced to the hub of your choice. You can guesstimate weights using the Bicycle Wheels Warehouse build numbers.

I'd suggest a run through with a tension meter if you go with either wheel set. The Mavic I bought new as well as the Spinergys came under tensioned. I'm sure a LBS could run through the wheels for ~$20ish.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Crosstrails for me!

Had the Crosstrails for about a month and they are still straight as an arrow after a few rides. BTW, I'm about 170 lbs with gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lefty mavic crosstrail or lefty spynergy xyclone disc-stepdown.jpg  

lefty mavic crosstrail or lefty spynergy xyclone disc-grassyknoll.jpg