mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Lefty Maintenance

I'm pretty sure the bearings in my Lefty are shot. I pulled the fork boots off and the machined surfaces the bearings ride on are scored and rough. The very top of the stroke is crunchy too. Has anyone sent their Lefty back to Can-it-fail for a rebuild? If so, how was the CS and how long did it take to get your fork back? Also, how much was it for the service?

Maniac

Are you talking to me?
    The bearings and races can be serviced at your dale dealer, or at Cannondale. Do not know turn around times, but expect to pay $60-80. This is a fairly rare problem. Are you storing the bike upside down? Riding in alot of water/muck? Just trying to guess. I have a Lefty DLR and a Lefty Max, and they are running strong. The DLR is 3 years old, and I have not touched it. Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    When I bought the bike the dealer said this was rare and that it would have to ship to C-dale for the service. Too many stream crossings in the last 3 years are the cause, plus the fork boot isn't totally waterproof. It's too bad C-dale doesn't offer a trade-in deal for the new TPC Lefty....I'd pay a little to get the latest Lefty.

Maniac

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Well, here we are 3 weeks later and 200 bucks poorer, but the fork feels great. C-dale replaced ALL of the internal parts of the fork (air chamber, negative spring, etc.) and put a new shock boot on it. AFter riding my 1995 Judy on my GT Zaskar, I realize why I like the Lefty so much. My advice to Lefty owners out there: walk your bike through stream crossings, it'll save you in the long run.

Maniac

Are you talking to me?

I am glad to hear it is back.

$200.00 wow! As far as the stream crossings, ho deep are we talking about? Just kidding. I am very happy with the Max TPC+. Later.

mtbr member

lefty rebuild

my lefty is the old one with the manual lock out and i am getting ready to send it back in to cannondale for a complete rebuild (everything inside will be new) years of use and lots of stream crossings on it and no problems yet (just doesn't feel as good as it did)

can't wait to get it back -- to me it's worth the price to get it rebuilt!! Cheaper than a new MAX at $750

Are you talking to me?

As far as the Lefty rebuild goes...

If you have the means, Go for the Lefty Max. Dont get me wrong, I loved my DLR model Lefty (manual olockout and rebound adj.) but the Lefty Max is smoother through it's stroke, has more travel (1", but I swear it is more like 3" more) and has way, way better damping internals. You do give up the lockout, but gain an external compression control. The compression adjuster controls the internal floating piston, allowing a great range of small to large bump compliance.
    If the $ are an issue, have the older model rebuilt. With the larger air chamber, new oil, and new bearings and races, the DLR will be as good or better than new.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Damion,

I asked my LBS and Cannondale about upgrading my fork when I sent it back for the rebuild and both said no. Do you know someone who has upgraded? If it was available I would have paid some thing for the upgrade (on top of the cost of the rebuild).

M

mtbr member

$200 duckies doesnt sound to bad considering this....

$200 for a complete rebuild doesnt sound too outragous when it comes back as good as if it were new. Unlike the rock shox sid race i sent back for a factory rebuild. $150 later i received the shock back in, to quote the service center,"as good as it is going to get condition". ie. time for a new shock fella. Now I could see if this fork was over 3 years old but this was the second time this 2 year old shock has been rebuilt.
    Not dissing rock shox, they make a good product as does any shock manufacturer or they wouldnt be in buisiness anymore. But for servicability and durability you can not beet the headshock in my opinion.
    Last edited by rocketritch; 02-11-2004 at 10:20 AM.

Are you talking to me?

I do not think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac
    Damion,

I asked my LBS and Cannondale about upgrading my fork when I sent it back for the rebuild and both said no. Do you know someone who has upgraded? If it was available I would have paid some thing for the upgrade (on top of the cost of the rebuild).

M
    The only way to do that is buy a Lefty Max outright, and sell the DLR. The difference will be the upgrade cost. Sorry. Have you already shipped the DLR to Cannondale? How bad of shape is it in now? Is it sellable as it stands?
    gfy