Thread: Lefty Maint??

mtbr member

Lefty Maint??

What is the best kind of grease to use on the lefty? I have heard a teflon based grease, but i was wondering if something like Amsoil is safe. I know that this is the best grease for my truck, but wondering if i can use it on the lefty?

thanks
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    The most important feature of bicycle specific greases is waterproofness. Automotive greases are not waterproof unless they specifically say they are. Automotive greases are designed for much higher heat ranges than your bike will ever see. Amsoil does make a waterproof grease for 4x4s and boat trailer wheels, but you don't need anything that exotic for your lefty or any other part of your bike.
    The only bicycle greases I've used are Finish Line teflon fortified, and Pedro's Syn Grease. I prefer the Finish Line as a brand, all thier products seem to work as well as I expected them to.

Ride on ... eh!

Lefty Grease....

.... yup, apparently for the Lefty there is something called Royal Purple grease. I heard about this from a shop near here (from the Cannondale rep who happened to be in the store at the time). He said that it can be ordered from Cannondale and it is what is put on the fork in the factory.
    I tried to order some, but the shop took forever, and never could get it. Apparently, about $15.- for a tube. But it is what is on the fork at the beginning, and it is the best thing for it.
    You might want to see if you can get some.
    Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    What is the best kind of grease to use on the lefty? I have heard a teflon based grease, but i was wondering if something like Amsoil is safe. I know that this is the best grease for my truck, but wondering if i can use it on the lefty?

thanks

mtbr member
    The Lefty manual recommends Royal Purple, Finish Line White Teflon, or Slick 50 One Grease.

mtbr member

greas

can anyone recomend any of the three over the others? or a place to get them (esp the royal purple) besides my lbs?

thanks
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    http://www.royalmgi.com/ngli2.html You can order a 35 pound bucket from there web page! haha. There is also some dealers listed in North and South Carolina. I just used regular water proof grease on mine after it was stuck one morning. It still feels very rough when I am just standing over it, but never notice it in the woods. I will just live with it until something breaks, don't want to spend $250 to have a year old shock rebuilt. Really like the lefty but this is starting to worry me. If you get any purple stuff let us know how it works.

Are you talking to me?

$80.00 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by 02jekyll1000
    http://www.royalmgi.com/ngli2.html You can order a 35 pound bucket from there web page! haha. There is also some dealers listed in North and South Carolina. I just used regular water proof grease on mine after it was stuck one morning. It still feels very rough when I am just standing over it, but never notice it in the woods. I will just live with it until something breaks, don't want to spend $250 to have a year old shock rebuilt. Really like the lefty but this is starting to worry me. If you get any purple stuff let us know how it works.
    Not sure where you are getting $250.00 from. The bearing and race rebuild is around $80.00.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    "Well, here we are 3 weeks later and 200 bucks poorer, but the fork feels great. C-dale replaced ALL of the internal parts of the fork (air chamber, negative spring, etc.) and put a new shock boot on it. AFter riding my 1995 Judy on my GT Zaskar, I realize why I like the Lefty so much. My advice to Lefty owners out there: walk your bike through stream crossings, it'll save you in the long run."

Maniac

I was wrong on the $250 it was $200. Why did Cannondale rebuild his whole shock? In an earlier post Maniac said he thought the bearings were shot. I would think that is all that is wrong with mine also. There is only a small creek that we cross regular, I think my trouble came from washing the bike. I turned it upside down to spray the mud off and started having trouble after that. Will it hurt anything to keep riding the way mine is?

mtbr member

Cannondale

when cannondale get's the shock back to the tech's, they will look it over and replace what need's to be replaced (if that's what you want) if they replaced just about everything in there, it's because it needed it. How mad would you be if you just got the bearings done, and 6 months later something else went and you had to send it back to them. When they are finished it will feel and perform like it did new!

hope this helps

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

grease action

Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr

thanks

so here are some variations we have done at our shop and its worked great. the royal purple is sold at some napa auto parts. murray, the cannondale rep showed us some other stuff you could do. motorex waterproof bikegrease 2000, as a first application....however do not only put just the grease. if you do your fork will stick horribly...you then can either put phil wood tenacious oil at the top and let it drain...cycle a few times...be aware it can come out of the bottom of the boot after a while. just need to clean it. the mix of both the tenacious oil and the motorex has really been nice for the wet weather we have...keeps the bearings good and the spring lubed...otherwise the royal purple is the right viscocity to not have to add another component

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Hey there, couple of things. First, yes, Royal Purple is the stock lube, works fine, no issues there. If you cannot find it, as stated, many others will work. In my shop, I have been using Phil Woods' grease, and I like it's slightly lighter viscosity, nothing agaisnt the Purple, but it's kind of plasticy, and sheary, the Phils' just smooths on, and seems to make them feel a bit more buttery, maybe it's just me=. Nice to get the viscosity without having to use oil down the top. Back in the day Cannondale recommended drizzleing gear oil down in (yikes). Secondly, as Damion said, around $80 is more like it for a standard rebuild with no other internal problems. Sounds like you just need some races and bearings, and some of those races may be salvageable. Get it done, soon. The longer you wait, the worse the corrosion gets, and the more friction that occurs, the more likelyhood there is that something will get lodged somewhere it shouldn't, or something will get jammed, and cause bigger issues. Rock on.

gave up SS in 1975
    I have been riding a prophet 600 for a few months and have noticed that the grease in my fork was a bit on the light side for the amount of lubricant that I would prefer. The bearing surfaces seemed to be almost lubricant free from the get go. For those newer Lefty owners out there, check to see that there is a good amount of grease on the bearing surfaces. Therefore, I went through the thing and rebuilt it and added an extra layer of grease. I live in wet climes and have found that molybdenum disulfide grease labeled as Sta-Lube disk brake high temp grease is really good. When compared to Phil Wood, this grease is stickier and has been excellent for wet climates. The royal purple is also a thin grease and does not hold up as well in the wet as I have experienced. Another lower temp grease that is good is the old fashioned marine bearing grease, again another waterproof one. I like the latter cause of its anti-seizing capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by hiawatharider
    I have been riding a prophet 600 for a few months and have noticed that the grease in my fork was a bit on the light side for the amount of lubricant that I would prefer. The bearing surfaces seemed to be almost lubricant free from the get go. For those newer Lefty owners out there, check to see that there is a good amount of grease on the bearing surfaces. Therefore, I went through the thing and rebuilt it and added an extra layer of grease. I live in wet climes and have found that molybdenum disulfide grease labeled as Sta-Lube disk brake high temp grease is really good. When compared to Phil Wood, this grease is stickier and has been excellent for wet climates. The royal purple is also a thin grease and does not hold up as well in the wet as I have experienced. Another lower temp grease that is good is the old fashioned marine bearing grease, again another waterproof one. I like the latter cause of its anti-seizing capabilities.
    I would never quibble with someones grease of choice, but I would toss this out there. A number of folks use WAY too much grease, thinking that more is better. This is just not the case. The first time your fork cycles, it wipes all the extra gop off, and you'll be more or less where you started from. What then happens is, it all packs into any spare space it can find, drys up a bit, collects crap, and creates a huge amont of stiction. I say use whatever lube you like, but maybe check it a bit more frequently (sounds like your all set with the teardown/relube scenario) and use less. More than a dime sized blob per slider assembly nets you nothing but more cleanup= Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

bel-ray

i hope the bel-ray waterproof grease i'm using is okay. after reading above, i should probably use a little less (dime size blob). also using bel-ray 5w suspension oil, seems to be working good after one lefty oil change. might as well stick with the bel-ray and see if they make a filter oil, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by d-unit
    i hope the bel-ray waterproof grease i'm using is okay. after reading above, i should probably use a little less (dime size blob). also using bel-ray 5w suspension oil, seems to be working good after one lefty oil change. might as well stick with the bel-ray and see if they make a filter oil, as well.
    It should be fine, after all, with regular maintenance, grease is grease. Irregular or non-existent fork work makes grease choice all the more important. Case in point, Cdale race techs routinely use Tri-Flow on the sliders of team forks, WAY fast and smooth, BUT, they get torn down after each event. They like Royal Purple because it sticks around for a long time, and does not break down quickly, good for consumer products that may not see routine service, even though they should= The oil should be fine too, if you are happy with the damping you are getting, and no seals are blowing oil all over, call it good. Happy trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    The oil should be fine too, if you are happy with the damping you are getting, and no seals are blowing oil all over, call it good. Happy trails.
    this was my first oil change. is the 5w oil correct? i'm 160 pounds, bike is prophet 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by d-unit
    this was my first oil change. is the 5w oil correct? i'm 160 pounds, bike is prophet 1000.
    Stock is 2.5, but it's okay. You will probably find you need to lighten up your rebound damping a little, as it will be slower. It would only be a problem if when fully open, it still comes back too slowly. Ride on!