mtbr member

Lefty leaking Oil

So the lefty (a HeadShok Lefty Max Alloy 120 TPC ) is drooling a bit and oil is leaking down the boot.. I would presume that a seal has gone.. Somewhere.

Whats best to do.. Can I replace the seals myself? If so where's the best place to get them from. Also where is the oil coming from... I cant see where the oil would be leaking from to get to where it is on the boot. Which seal would be gone to be getting oil there?

A pic of the issue is here

Any help appreciated.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It's the infamous Quad seal. If you are modestly mechanical, it's a pretty easy thing. You'll need a seal, shock oil, a metric deep socket set with extension, and maybe half an hour.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

banned
    If you plan on keeping the Lefty, just by 4 or 5 of all the parts you need. This is so you can do repair it over and over and over again. That is what I found anyway... before I sold my Cannondale.

Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    If you plan on keeping the Lefty, just by 4 or 5 of all the parts you need. This is so you can do repair it over and over and over again. That is what I found anyway... before I sold my Cannondale.
    A bit of hyperbole perhaps? I thought you just bought one, or am I confused (a distinct possibility!)

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    A bit of hyperbole perhaps? I thought you just bought one, or am I confused (a distinct possibility!)
    I did buy one. F29. The Lefty was great until it leaked. It was great again until it leaked. It is better now that I have sold it and it is gone.

I really liked it, I put about 800 miles on it in a matter of a couple of months, but can't afford to have it jettison its oil in the middle of several hundred miles of self-supported riding. Once was enough.

It was stiff though. The definition of stiff if you ask me. That was such an eye-opener. I just wish....

Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    I did buy one. F29. The Lefty was great until it leaked. It was great again until it leaked. It is better now that I have sold it and it is gone.

I really liked it, I put about 800 miles on it in a matter of a couple of months, but can't afford to have it jettison its oil in the middle of several hundred miles of self-supported riding. Once was enough.

It was stiff though. The definition of stiff if you ask me. That was such an eye-opener. I just wish....
    Wow, crappy. The DLR2's have a bit of a rep for quirkiness such as that. The Maxes though, beat 'em, and leave 'em. Sorry to hear it, too bad there wasn't a fix that was more durable...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Like catnip for people
    Can someone give me a list of "must have" tools for a lefty owner?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    Can someone give me a list of "must have" tools for a lefty owner?
    Must have? I'd say only the BB tool to open the top cap and allen keys. The rest is not a must for most people.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Must have? I'd say only the BB tool to open the top cap and allen keys. The rest is not a must for most people.
    I'm awash with trepidation... Waiting for the day my lefty needs servicing.
    :O

I don't know if it's just me but I was thinking I could feel or hear a very small clunk... barely noticeable, but different from the silence I was used to from the lefty... Whenever I went over a very very small bump... As it returned to it's uncompressed state... If that makes sense?

Arrgh... *Starts making a list of tools to buy*

clone
    May 2004
    I'm klunking a little too.

New DLR, leaking oil, eventually blew the damping. Fixed under warrenty, but now it's clunking - not noisily - only really obvious on a smoot trail with little bumps, like say little roots (and the lockout is in a different spot...?)

Is this a bad thing?

mtbr member
    ar1981 and idiot:
    Needle bearing reset??
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)
    '08 F6 (daughter's)

Clunk upon returning to top, is referred to as top out, and is indicative of bearing migration. If you need further answers as to what it is, and how to reset it (it's easy) use the search function, as there's stuff here, ad nauseum about it.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    It's the infamous Quad seal. If you are modestly mechanical, it's a pretty easy thing. You'll need a seal, shock oil, a metric deep socket set with extension, and maybe half an hour.
    Ah many thanks. Is there a tutorial anywhere showing how this is done?

Also is there any danger in riding with the fork while this seal continues to leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Ah many thanks. Is there a tutorial anywhere showing how this is done?

Also is there any danger in riding with the fork while this seal continues to leak?

There is a Prodigalcyclist post on converting FFD to TPC, Hey Tony, make this one a sticky huh?. It will be the same process, just no swapping of parts. The seal is inside the top cap for the upper assembly (the rebound) where the shaft passes through it. Happy wrenching!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    There is a Prodigalcyclist post on converting FFD to TPC, Hey Tony, make this one a sticky huh?. It will be the same process, just no swapping of parts. The seal is inside the top cap for the upper assembly (the rebound) where the shaft passes through it. Happy wrenching!
    so is that just below the spring?

so is that just below the spring?
    Yup, but just so I cansay I said it, you will want to do the whole drain, re-bleed thing, not just pull the top end. Perhaps you knew that, but if not, now you do

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Should there be any oil appearing on the lower leg when you cycle the fork. I had a shop look at it and replace the seals but when I cycle the for a few time a little bit of oil appears on the lower leg.. should they be clean?

I can see this as i have removed the boot to test it out.

when I cycle the for a few time a little bit of oil appears on the lower leg.. should they be clean?

Should not be any oil, possibly it's residual from the mess inside prior to seal replacement? Did they do a service on it, or just chamge seals? If it's the later, there a good chance a bunch of oil is in the leg, making things rather sloppy inside......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com