mtbr member

Lefty knocking sound - max TPC

I have a lefty max TPC

So going over bumps I get a knocking sound from the lefty.. I have had it suggested in the past that it is air trapped in the oil etc.. however upon taking the fork apart I notice this thick shim thing around the dampening shaft? Which appears to be free to slide around.. is that right.. I think it is that causing the issue?

See it here in my photo

Does anyone have a schematic of how the lefty should look when disassembled? Should that large shim be affixed to something?
    Last edited by Karve; 08-03-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Dr Gadget is IN
    That part is the bottom out spacer, and it should be accompanied by two bottom out bumpers - which are rubber and grip the shaft, holding all in place. If you don't have the bumpers you need to get new ones. I guess ORings would hold it in place, but if you bottom out it will be harsh w/o the bumpers.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    Ah so could it be that the lower rebound bumper has slipped down the shaft a bit?

mtbr member
    Thats as far out as I can pull the spring out.. what do i need to do to detach it from the lower part of the fork and realign those bottom out bumpers?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Thats as far out as I can pull the spring out.. what do i need to do to detach it from the lower part of the fork and realign those bottom out bumpers?
    You need to remove the alloy, and plastic spacers at the top of the shaft. Then, a 9mm wrench flat will be right under the top cap. hold that with one wrench, while unscrewing the top cap with another wrench. The rest will be self explanatory
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Ok cool got it

My LBC had the fork apart last and after that it started knocking.... would it be fair to say that they assembled it incorrectly? Should there be a bumper at the top and at the bottom of the shaft and not two at the top as in the pic below

Last edited by Karve; 08-04-2007 at 12:13 PM.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    My LBC had the fork apart last and after that it started knocking.... would it be fair to say that they assembled it incorrectly?

Possibly, but it's not the sort of thing that will cause harm, so I wouldn't burn the place down
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    LOL wouldn't dream of it they are great chaps.. alway worth offering some feedback however in case they have done it more than once and they get similar issues.