Gators25
    Sep 2009

Lefty Hybrid ready for scrap bin? Mendon or Headshok'r?

Question for the forum:

I was working on my lefty hybrid today, and I guess something got stuck in the new PBR damper threads while screwing it into the fork because I can't get the damper unscrew at this point. I'm using the super castle tool, but it won't budge. Now the top of the damper, where the castle tool sits, is completely shredded as I've tried everything I can think of to get it out of there.

1) Mendon or Headshok'r, either of you have experience with this? Thoughts on a solution? Any ideas on whether or not Cannondale could get it out if I sent it to them?

2) If anyone else has run into the before, were you able to get it fixed?

I'm obviously pretty frustrated at this point! Can't seem to catch a break with the bikes recently...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Older forks, I generally can work around that.

Hybrids though, with their designed obsolescence baked in? No great loss, chuck it and start over, it's what Dorel would want you to do anyway.

I mean it's only money, and every biker is flush with it, right?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Gators25
    Sep 2009
    Well...I figured that might be the response. It's frustrating that it happened on a brand new damper. I also just bought two seal kits from Europe, since Cannondale is backordered through October. I dont understand how they can be so negligent in having the parts available to keep the forks running! That aspect of their busines model is what will keep me away from Cannondale in the future.

I flushed the fork yesterday, so it's in a working condition. That should buy me some time to figure out what I want to do. It still feels stiff and like its ramping up too soon, but its rideable.

If anyone else has ideas or thoughts on how to get the damper out, I'm all ears!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    scrap bin.

All I can say is WOW to the Ohlins RFX 36 coil front fork. Now, your lefty wheel is not needed ................... but on the bright side.............you don't have to hear that stupid, "What happened to the other side of your fork"

I'm still running my booted 140 mm non hybrid lefty with a few mendon tweaks. It's taken a long time for any other fork to come close to this. However the coil upgrade to the Fox 36 and the Ohlins coil certainly make you wonder why you'd put up with Cannondale's crap any longer. Sure, you have to put up with Fox's ever changing merry go round of crappola dampener, but at least you'll have some beer buddies to talk to while everyone scratches their head
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.