Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: lefty hubs

mtbr member

lefty hubs

hello all: I am planning to build a new set of wheels for my scalpel but wanted to know if there is anyone aside from cannondale who makes lefty hubs?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I know Mavic has a lefty compatible hub for their Crossmax SL wheel. And I think I read somewhere that Formula and Hugi / DT Swiss make OEM hubs for Cannondale. I only have stock Coda Expert hubs on my F800 and surprisingly they have lasted longer and trouble-free than my Deore hubs I had on my previous bike.

LA CHÈVRE
    Cannondale make the Lefty hubs themselves. Woodman components have some good Lefty hubs but the Cannondales are lighter and not bad at all. Other than that, there are only pre-built wheels (Mavic Crossmax SL, Spinergy Xyclone and Xentis Kappa).

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by krayzie
    I know Mavic has a lefty compatible hub for their Crossmax SL wheel. And I think I read somewhere that Formula and Hugi / DT Swiss make OEM hubs for Cannondale. I only have stock Coda Expert hubs on my F800 and surprisingly they have lasted longer and trouble-free than my Deore hubs I had on my previous bike.
    DT don't seem to advertise this feature
    http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=hubs.bike

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    DT don't seem to advertise this feature
    http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=hubs.bike
    DT used to make some hubs for Cannondale, but not the Lefty specific hubs (they just rebranded some of their own hubs as Cannondales) until last year when Formula made the rear hubs, again, not the Lefty models... Now there are only Cannondale Lefty hubs, they spec Shimano and DT hubs this year, no more rebranding.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    any links to lefty hubs?

cannondales hubs are expensive. and to find new hubs with 6 bolt on ebay are very rare.

i would like to build a set for my F900...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle
    any links to lefty hubs?

cannondales hubs are expensive. and to find new hubs with 6 bolt on ebay are very rare.

i would like to build a set for my F900...

Just did a quick search, there are 3 Lefty 6 bolt hubs on eBay right now, 1 for bidding, 2 for Buy it Now. They are $58 for 24h and $66 for 32h, but they are both silver.

mtbr member
    yeah, i just saw thoose. expensive! and i want black....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Well, you may be out of luck. Thats the cheapest I have found hubs. The Cannondale ones are $100 new and Woodman, if you can find them, are a little more than that. And it only goes up from there with Industry Nine and Mavic and the like. I dont know if you are going to be able to find them cheaper than on eBay.

mtbr member
    yeah, i already figured that. i have an old 4 bolt lefty hub i will probably use. and use a 6 bolt hub for the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colodude
    Just did a quick search, there are 3 Lefty 6 bolt hubs on eBay right now, 1 for bidding, 2 for Buy it Now. They are $58 for 24h and $66 for 32h, but they are both silver.
    The 24 hole,6 bolt silver/pollished are the 30th aniversey hubs that came with rhe Jekyll goodboy....

There were only 300 of thes bikes built....so i dont know why there is a stock of left over hubs......must have been an over run for spares/replacements....

Anyway.....the hubs a GREAT and are the beter competition version....

mtbr member
    Under $70 for a Lefty hub ?
    Dude , that's not expensive

You may have better luck finding a low priced rim with a
    6 bolt in it & then sell the rim and spokes to recoup the
    initial cost of the wheel .

mtbr member
    well, i just bought a 4 bolt on ebay thats a Si for 31 bucks with SH. thats a little pricy for me. but i want to build a new set of rims. dang 4 bolt.... o well, it works.

mtbr member
    confusing web site... did this company fabricate you a hub? or did they sell you a companies hub?
    Last edited by broomhandle; 07-30-2006 at 01:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bought a used wheelset on ebay for my lefty, hope rear hub, woodman front, velocity rims, for $120 shipped, one rim did have a flat spot but its ridable, and my mechanic thought the rear hub had low miles on it.

mtbr member
    well, i just bought a 4 bolt on ebay thats a Si for 31 bucks with SH. thats a little pricy for me. but i want to build a new set of rims. dang 4 bolt.... o well, it works.
    The simple reason for this is that there is no market for 4 bolt Lefty hubs .
    No one will pay much for them now because the demand is for 6 bolt ones .

mtbr member
    yes, i know.... and 6 bolt lefty hubs are rare and expensive.

mtbr member
    and why is there a 32 hole and 24 hole lefty? i know that goes with any hub. but i thought for discs there is only a few patterns you can use. which is the more popular? 32?

this is my first lefty wheel build. and i know its dished to one side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The 24 hole Lefty Hubs appear on Scalpel, Rush and Hardtails. The 32 appears on the Prophets.

mtbr member
    so what is the difference in the pattern? i have a jekyll and a F900 with lefty's. this will be my first disc wheel build, and 1st lefty build.

fella
    so what is the difference in the pattern? i have a jekyll and a F900 with lefty's. this will be my first disc wheel build, and 1st lefty build.
    The difference is simple: buying a 24-hole hub you are going to have a big PITA when searching for a 24-hole disk rim.

mtbr member
    yes, i get that. im talking about lacing patterns.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had Dave at Dave's Dream Wheels build me up a set of wheels, Stans 355 rims, Woodman Hub, Hope Pro II rear hub, 32 hole pattern on all. I have had them for about 3 months and they have been great. Very light and stiff. I am running Nevegal DTC Blue Grooves with Stans Sealant and Rim TAPE. No problems setting the wheels on the rim. Dave discussed riding style weight etc had them in about a week and a half. He is great to work with and although not a cheap up grade they are well worth it. You can check out his reviews on this website under "wheels". I upgraded my wheels from the std on the Rush 1000 to the set from Dave. I do have to let you know about the Hope Pro II hub, works great, but it is a little on the loud side.

Good luck.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    yes, i get that. im talking about lacing patterns.

Lacing patterns are the same, regardless of the number of spokes. That said, as you go up in number, beyond 32, you have the ability to do a 4x pattern too. But, 3x is fine for 98% of the folks out there, and is what you want for a conventional spoked, disc wheel. Good luck with your build, don't get too bent on it's being a lefty, or a disc, or what have you, a wheel build is a wheel build, just lace it right, dished, and tight, you'll be fine.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast