Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lefty Hub Vibration

924 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jimification 
#1 ·
This is weird. I had a new Lefty wheel built-up with a Stans rim and brand new Lefty Hub .. the Cannondale hub, newer version. I've got maybe 150 dry miles on it. I just noticed last night on the bike stand that I can "feel" the rotation of the front wheel at slower RPMs .. 2-5 mph. When I rotate it faster, it smooths out and I feel nothing. When it slows down, you feel a slight vibration in the bar. Of course I can't feel this when the wheel is on the ground, only when the wheel is elevated. I pulled off the front brake and even the speed sensor magnet to see if they might be involved, but it it still does it. Doesn't seem to impede/restrict the rotation .. no dragging and the wheel will slowly spin to a stop and reverse slightly, indicating there is nothing grabbing.

I took the wheel off and rotated the bearings with my hand, but can't feel anything unusual. This is a brand new hub, so can't believe the bearings would be at fault. I've removed the end-cap once and used the "dummy" truing axle tool for a some truing, but other than that I've done nothing unusual. I just used a spanner tool to remove/replace the end cap and didn't think I overtightened or anything like that.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.