Thread: Lefty Hub Seals

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Lefty Hub Seals

This is just a heads-up...

I recently purchased a brand new 2006 Scalpel 1000 and due to family and work priorities, only spent 25 miles on the bike dialing in the fit before racing it for the first time. After about 12.5 miles of the scheduled 50 mile race, the front hub developed a persistent squeak and much rotational resistance. I bailed after 25 miles.

On closer inspection, a black rubbery substance was oozing out around the axle bolt. When I took the bike into the LBS where the bike was purchased, they knew exactly what the problem was. An improperly lubed seal under the hub cap.

If you're buying a bike with a lefty hub, it might be worth having your LBS inspect the hub before racing it or taking it out on an epic ride for the first time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had the same problem..... I developed a lot later in the game than yours but it was the same _KNOWN_ issue..

Definately follow the OP's advice and have the seal checked or better yet, replaced...

LA CHÈVRE
    Yep, definitly a known issue. I greased the hell out of my Crossmax SLR's seal. It's all good for now but if the issue shows up, I'll probably do like many have done and just remove the seal completely.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Are you guys talking about the black oring that seals the hub-bolt interface?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Regular Maintenance

Bubba74, that is the exact ring i'm talking about.

I'd like to do a regular maintenance check on that seal about every three months or first squeak, whichever comes first. Anyone spring for the special tool you need to remove the hubcap? I saw it for sale online for aroud $32 bucks - seems expensive to me. Anyone figure out a way to DIY one?

mtbr member
    you can get a spanner from park tools for 10-15 bucks. Don't forget the cap is reverse threaded. I removed the seal from a couple of my wheels. If I road in the rain once a week, I'd probably keep the o ring, but I don't.