mtbr member

lefty hub removal problem

I was doing a reset on my lefty, and after I removed the brake caliper, I started to remove the 5mm hex bolt to take the wheel off. It started spinning fine, then I had some resistance which isn't normal. I applied some force and then I heard a loud metal pop sound and the bolt spun. But its not coming out.
    If I keep turning the hex the same thing happens. And now it happens when I'm tightening or loosening the hex bolt.

I tried tightening the end cap, which was a little loose, but I don't have the right tool for that. I used needle nosed pliers and was able to tighten it seemingly enough but I'm not sure if that's the cause of my problems anyway.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Remove the end cap entirely and see if you can get the bolt out.

My Lefty hub has always come off with ease so I'm assuming things here (with hopes that the good folks at Cannondale didn't reinvent the wheel too much): it could be that after removing the endcap you can use a regular crank puller to remove the hub. If the end cap thread is the same as on cranks, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

(Normally the bolt spins fine and then there's resistance as the bolt pushes against the endcap and self-extracts the hub off the axle.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    1. No need to remove the wheel for Lefty reset. Actually the wheel/Tire provides a good grabbing surface to give the shock a few up-down whacks, till the bearing are back in place.
    No need to take the air out either. Just open the top cup and remove the 2 white open spacers, then grab the front tire in one hand, the handlebar in the other and and whack-pump the fork hard up an down a few times.
    That's it, the whole thing is painless and takes only a few minutes.

2. From what you are describing, I am afraid you "screwed up" (sorry for the pun) the lefty threads... hopefully I am wrong.
    Take it to your LBS, they should have the tools and know-how for such cases.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Thanks. Resetting the fork isn't the issue. I've done that plenty of times.
    But the wheel is a problem now. I think the threads are F'd up but the nut did come out when I took the end cap off. The wheel is still stuck on though. It's not spinning freely either. I'll have to take it to the shop.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes, It is not the issue, but it looks like you were doing it wrong.. Tried to save you some time in the future.

If the Axle bolt came out, then what's holding the wheel now is jut the conical pressure between the bearings and the spindle.
    In such case you may want to VERY GENTLY tap it with a rubber mallet and a wood stick or hard plastic rod from the opposite side to try and nudge it out.

lefty hub removal problem-1-5-2014-5-47-20-pm.jpg
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1

mtbr member

Re: lefty hub removal problem

I just prefer taking the wheel off when I do the reset. Pushing the fork down while holding the spindle gives me better feedback as to whether the reset "took" or not. Pushing down on a tire with 17psi doesn't give the same feedback. Just my preference.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Obviously, do what you like, but that split ring seat, going deeper into the fork tube is about the best indicator you're doing it right. If you like numbers, you can simply measure it too as you go.

I have no issue feeling the change in "feel" as it gets to the fully reset point, with a tire in my hand, but maybe that's just cause I've done a few over the years

At the end of the day, it's all about economy of effort and time. If I don't need to walk around the bike three times before I ride it, why bother doing so?

As for the issue, I'm guessing your helicoil got pulled out. Happens if the bolt gets tightened too much. Yet another reason to not bother with wheel removal if you ask me.

Cheap. Maybe a few bucks for a new 10x1 helicoil, and a few more to install it. They are helicoiled from the factory, so that folks who like to over tighten stuff, don't ruin a $300 part, and just end up needing a $5 one.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Craig. (It is Craig right? You rebuilt a few of my lefties )

Assuming it's the helicoil, any idea why the wheel is still stuck on?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If the helicoil won't function, it won't allow the bolt to perform it's self extraction duties.

It's stuck on because the bearings have a light press fit to the axle stub. Without that, it'd knock and make noise, etc.

The bolt both presses the bearings onto their seats, as well as pulls them off....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Mendo,
    I didn't know that the Lefty uses Helicoil and not a regular thread - great foolproof idea as you said...
    Thanks for educating us.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1