mtbr member
    Dec 2006

lefty hub question - part mia

due to sheer laziness i forgot to tighten the cover on the lefty hub and it is now mia. the cover or cap or whatever you wanna call it main job is to prevent stuff getting into the interior of the hub and messing with the bearings and is situated outwards on the hub ( ;-) naturally ). i hope everybody get what part i'm talking about. is it possible to buy this part separately, or do i need to buy a new hub and screw it off that one? if i keep the bike i'm probably gonna get a crossmax st lefty, but i will need to remedy this problem anyway.

any and all help much appreciated!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    You can purchase just the cap and bolt assembly, at least, should I say, I can order it in that way, your LBS experience may vary As to it's function, it's also how you remove the wheel, as you unscrew the bolt, it pushes on that cap, extracting the hub from the spindle. Luckily, you don't need to remove it to change a flat though, so in the short term sense, it's not a big deal, but you're gonna want another one.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    hm, ok. jolly good and thanks for the help as well as the extra info. for now i'll just tape it up to prevent ruining the hub. it's not like it's gonna see a lot of use anyway, or i don't think so anyway. i def need a new one though as life could easily become a bit tedious without it if the front wheel throws a fit.